Chapter 1

The neatly groomed businessman looks at me with disdain as I slide him the paper coffee cup. "There you go," I say, mustering my best customer service smile.

"Did you really just take five minutes to pour me a black coffee?" he raises his eyebrows, looking me up and down.

"It's my first day."

"Then you shouldn't be taking orders during the morning rush," he snaps.

I simply wave my hand, letting go of the forced smile. "Yeah, yeah. Next."

He scoffs, making sure that I can hear his complaints as he walks away. The next customer is as rude as the last one, what's with these rich people and their attitude problems? I'm supposed to be a spy. A trained assassin. I can shoot a target from miles away. I know seven different ways to kill someone with my bare hands. I am Eretz Hayim, a mastermind of espionage... taking coffee orders for the rich and powerful at the local café near the city's main business hub.

"Are you sure you put sugar in this?" An older woman with a fancy updo and a fur coat that's too heavy for this weather says with a scowl.

"Yes," I reply dryly.

The woman frowns even harder. "Well, it's not sweet enough."

"Okay? The sugar packs are here," I point at the small containers near the counter. "Help yourself."

"Can't you just pour me another one?" she asks impatiently, and I can tell that she's used to getting what she wants.

"I really can't." I gesture toward the line behind her. "Next!"

The woman rolls her eyes, muttering something about "kids these days," as she moves to the side, allowing the next customer to place their order. I can just see her blond hair peeking from behind the crowd.

My pulse races.

"A soy latte with no foam," she says, her voice sharp but polite. She glances at me briefly with bored eyes, and then turns her attention back to her phone.

"Name?" I ask.

"Eve."

I scribble it onto the paper cup, my handwriting messy making me internally groan. It's hard to believe that I've mastered so many skills, yet my handwriting is still unreadable.

Eve.

"Here you go, ma'am," I say, sliding the cup over to her

She looks at it, then back up at me, raising an eyebrow. "I said no foam."

I check the cup and see that I forgot to put a lid on it. Nine out of ten times, people don't even notice their no-foam late has foam, so why the struggle?

"Oh," I feign innocence. "It's my first day, I can make you a new one."

She looks at me, her expression hard to read, and for a moment I'm convinced she's going to refuse. But then, she hands the cup back to me, her eyes fixed on mine. "Please."

"On it," I say, smiling at her. My eyes linger on her face as I take the cup from her hand. Her features are sharp, yet delicate at the same time. Her gaze is cold and piercing, her lips pink and full. She's absolutely stunning.

As I make her new drink, I can feel her eyes on me, ditching her phone. She's watching my every move, studying me carefully and therefore adding to the pressure. I'm pretty bad at this.

I place the cup in front of her. "On the house."

"You don't have to," she says.

"I insist. Also, it probably tastes terrible."

She hesitates for a moment before picking up the cup, taking a sip. She nods. "It does taste terrible," her face is blank as she looks back at me, but before I can say anything back, she walks away, disappearing into the crowd with her drink.

That wasn't so bad.

⁂ TWO WEEKS EARLIER ⁂

"What do you mean you're pulling me out of my mission?" I snap, walking around the room. "After all the progress I've been making?"

"I'm not pulling you out. I'm postponing it for the time being," Avera, my boss, replies calmly.

"Postponing? Why?"

"We need you for something else, I wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't important. This woman... we've been trying to get to her for months, and every agent we've sent has failed."

"Failed?"

"She doesn't seem to be interested in men."

"You want me to honey-trap some woman?" I scoff. "And I wasn't even your first choice."

Avera shakes his head. "We didn't know that she has a more favored taste in women, and honestly we're still not sure. But we do know that she isn't seeing anyone, man or woman. You're our best bet... and you're a lesbian yourself, why send in a straight woman when we have the perfect agent for the mission? Or are you going to tell me you can't seduce a woman?"

I sigh, sitting down on the chair across from him. "This is humiliating."

Avera chuckles. "It's not personal, Eretz. We need to do what's best for the client. I know you understand that."

I nod. "Fine. Give me the details."

"It's quite simple — get close to her, extract the information, then kill her. Accidentally, of course."

"How old is she? 60?"

"32."

"She's young," I say, unable to hide the surprise in my voice. "Jealous sibling?"

"Precisely," Avera leans back in his seat. "Eve Blau, the eldest daughter of billionaire businessman, Isaac Blau. The man owned a chain of hotels across various countries... died in a car accident last year. Eve was the successor, but you know how it goes. She has a brother next in line, Asher Blau."

"So the brother wants her gone."

"Not before knowing how she managed to double her father's success in the one year she has been on top," Avera says, tapping the file on his desk. "Eve is very powerful, she has a lot of connections, a lot of influence, and a lot of money. The family is wealthy enough to cause problems if we don't take care of this properly."

I nod slowly, taking it all in.

"She's smart and cunning," he continues. "She knows how to play the game, and she knows how to win."

"I see."

"You'll need to be careful, Eretz. This won't be easy."

"A picture would be nice."

Avera hands me the file, my eyes are immediately drawn to the photograph attached to the paper. She's beautiful. Blonde hair, sharp features, piercing gaze... Her beauty is intimidating and yet somehow, she manages to look delicate. The file itself is surprisingly blank, nothing but a few lines of information, nothing that could be helpful except that she gets coffee every morning at a café near her company's office complex.

I glance up at Avera. "This is it?"

He shrugs. "That's all we have, but I'm sure you can work with it. You're a resourceful woman."

I close the folder and stand up, giving him a nod. "I'll keep you updated."

"Eretz," he calls after me as I exit his office, making me stop in my tracks. "Do whatever it takes, you know the rules."

I nod once more and walk away.

Copyright © 2024 by ShayZayit

I do not accept requests for word-for-word copies of my story, translations, adaptations (such as character name changes, gender swaps, additional characters added, etc.), and full paragraph borrowing. If you have found a story with any of the above, either here on Wattpad or in any other platform, feel free to contact me at shayzayit@hotmail.com with a link.