Chapter 3

I hold Eve's feet as she warms up with sit-ups, her perfume hitting me every time she came back up and her muscles flexing with each movement seemed to intoxicate me. I'm supposed to be the one seducing her, not the other way around, yet here I am, my eyes glued to her and my cheeks growing hot as she meets my eyes.

"What's your usual routine?" I ask, breaking the silence.

She shrugs, getting off the bench and wiping the sweat off her forehead with the back of her hand. "I don't have one."

"You don't talk much, do you?"

She looks at me for a moment, her brown eyes taking me in. "No, I don't."

I follow her to the chest press machine, helping her get in place and leaning over her as I hold the bar above her head. I can feel her eyes on me as I help her lift the weight, feeling my hands grow clammy under her gaze. Her body is warm under mine, making the room seem hotter than it actually is.

As she finishes her set, I take a step back, feeling my heart pounding in my chest. What is wrong with me?

"I can't seem to get rid of you, can I?" she says out of nowhere, my eyebrows shoot up, surprised at the sudden interaction. "At least you're better at this than at making coffee," she continues, moving on to the leg curl machine.

"Do I annoy you so much that you want to get rid of me?"

She shakes her head. "It's refreshing to have a female personal trainer, for a change — I guess I can take the annoyance."

I click my tongue, ignoring her remark, stepping closer to hold the weights down. "Not a fan of men?"

"Not a fan of how they look at me."

"Am I any different?" I tease.

"No," she answers simply.

"Then what's the difference?"

She glances at me with no intention of answering my question, focusing back on her work-out. And as much as I want to push out an answer out of her, I remain silent.

She pushes through the rest of her workout without a word, the only sound being the grunts and groans she makes every now and then. As she stops, she turns to me again. "Are you here every day?"

I nod. "Will I see you tomorrow?"

"Not tomorrow, no," she shakes her head. "Not here, at least."

"I see."

"Do I talk to the front desk to assure you're available?" she raises her eyebrows, stretching her arms above her head.

"I'll handle it," I answer quickly. If she asks the front desk about me, the cards will fall.

She nods, watching me carefully, her eyes lingering on me for a second too long. "Ok." She walks away without another word, leaving me to watch her disappear into the locker room.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding, picking up my phone and dialing Avera's number. "I need a very good personal trainer resume," I sigh into the phone.

"You got it," he replies without a question.

A step is a step, no matter how small it is. And coming from where I started, it's a damn good step. But convincing our client that we might actually need more than just a couple of weeks however... I look at the man in front of me, his eyes on me expectantly.

"Sir," I say after a minute of silence. "With all due respect, it's only been a week."

"Yes," he nods. "And what do you have to show for it?"