Chapter 19

I moan in my bed as I roll over, my whole body is sore. It feels like I've been hit by a car... or two, more accurately. I sit up, wincing in pain as I get out of bed, limping to the bathroom. My bruised body fully on display in the mirror — my torso looks horrible. I touch the cut on my cheek, grunting at the sting. This is great, Eve is definitely going to notice this one.

The body I can hide, but this?

I take a quick shower, my ribs aching as the hot water touches my skin. I was half expecting my phone to blow up this morning with threats from the Alefbeit, his colleagues, an angry boss, literally anything — but nothing. The silence is a bit unsettling, even though the rules are clear.

Every assassin has the right of defense... this doesn't mean they'll stop, and I'd be naive to believe that they're intimidated by the death of one of their colleagues. If anything, I've just made the goal of killing me even more interesting and appealing to them.

I groan as I rub my back, regret hits the hardest in the morning... or rather in the evening. I've slept through basically the whole day.

I limp into the kitchen, starting the coffee machine before heading back to my dresser to get dressed. I pull on my pants, nearly falling over as I reach for my shirt. There is no way I can go to the gym and teach Eve self-defense like this, she is going to annihilate me — not only that, but she'll also figure out something is wrong. I can't risk that.

I look at myself in the mirror, grimacing at the sight of my reflection. I look awful, but I need to come up with a plan. I can't cancel our session now, it's too late for that, and if I don't show up, she will definitely know something is up.

My phone buzzes on my nightstand, and I walk over to pick it up. I raise my eyebrows as I see Beinis' name on the screen, and I quickly answer the call.

"Eretz," I mumble, sitting on the bed.

"I was going to ask how fucked up did you get, but I guess there are more pressing issues at hand," he says nonchalantly. "We have a situation."

"Didn't even get a scratch," I lie. "What situation?"

"One of the Alefbeit's associates came by asking questions about Qof, he didn't look pleased," he says, and I hear him sigh on the other end. "They probably want answers."

"Well, he fucked around, and found out — that's what happened."

"I suggest you stay low for a few days, Eretz."

"I can't, I have a job to finish."

"Your safety comes first. You can't finish your assignment if you're dead, can you?"

"Don't worry about me, Beinis," I say, grabbing my jacket. "Be a good computer rat and get me one of those neat USB drives that goes bipbipbop on the target's computer."

"Where is the one I gave you like 3 weeks ago?"

"Lost it," I shrug.

"Lost it? Do you have any idea how expensive a piece of equipment like that is?" he grumbles, and I can hear him typing in the background. "How can you lose 4 of them in a year?"

"That thing is like 5 bucks at a Walmart."

"You can't be serious."

"I'll pick it up tomorrow."

I hang up before he can protest, leaving the apartment after feeding Liora, and getting into my car. My ribs ache as I sit down, and I groan as I try to get comfortable. This is going to be a long day.