⊰60⊱

💫

Acacia/Ciarán - Age 16

"It's just...dad, it's not fair," I cry out from under my covers, having gone straight to my room the moment we arrived back home. It was a couple of days, and I just wanted to shut the world out. I know school will be starting soon and I want to die in my bed right here. I know it's later in the afternoon by how far the sun is creeping down behind the trees and mountains.

Dad is sitting at the end of my bed, his features holding the pain I feel as he replies, "I know, Acacia...it's not fair. You shouldn't have been put in that position," he pauses when more tears stream down my face. He scoots up further to me, wrapping his arms around my body and pulling me close to his chest. Dad shakes his head and says, "I'm so sorry...I love you so much, little love..."

"Why does it hurt so much?" I grasp the fabric of my dad's shirt, my face burying into his chest.

There's a knock at my bedroom door before my face tilts to the side and I see Dante enter the room, his head leaning to the side as he says, "Little one..."

I shut everyone out when I got home...and it's the first time I've let anyone back close to me. Dante crosses the room slowly before he lowers himself down next to dad and I. He tells me sincerely, "I'm sorry this happened to you...no one deserves to be hurt like this from their mate."

Dad's muscles tense and I see the way Dante's features shift slightly, but they say nothing. Trying to ignore the pain and hurt, I state, "It's not like I could have marked him anyways..."

"No, not unless you're a half-breed, but that's discernible only through mark and mating from your other half," Dante pauses, and he tries to reassure me in order to make me feel slightly better about the choice that's been made, so he states, "besides, the bond would only be half-sided and without you marking him, he'd be free to do whatever he wishes and if he's like how your father described...then who's to say he would remain faithful. Nothing would tie his soul, so perhaps...this is better for you little love because it saves you the unimaginable heartbreak that comes from your mate possible cheating."

Taron wouldn't...

Dad furrows his brows and questions Dante, "I thought if one cheated, the bond would be severed?"

"Only if it's a completed bond," Dante pauses, and I see the way his irises shift to their golden state, "if it's one-sided, there's nothing truly tying two individuals together."

So...even if Taron marked me, he wouldn't have to remain with me if he didn't want to?

"If Taron marked Acacia...and he-" dad stops himself short, my heart beating fast.

Dante nods and replies, "She'd feel everything should he..." his voice trails off as now, my dads are putting a lot into perspective of how this could have ever worked with me not able to mark him as Sophia can...

Regardless of this insight, it still hurts...but now I have some logic to reason with instead of just blatantly indulging in my emotions that run rampant.

"Acacia," mom calls from the door, my eyes widening with I see...Sinéad is standing alongside her, "Sinéad Tempest is here to see you."

Dad and Dante glance at one another before they both wrap me in a warm hug before leaving the room. The door shuts behind them, Sinéad briefly looking around my room before she asks, "Are you okay?" She pauses when she walks toward me, plopping down at the end of my bed and saying, "I've called so many times to the castle...everyone says you've locked yourself away."

"Everyone?" I question her.

"Well...Ciarán," Sinéad shakes her head and continues, "when he said that, I knew I had to come and see you...though, mother wasn't too happy because she only gave me permission to use my pendant for the party tonight."