⊰46⊱

💫

Acacia/Ciarán - Age 15

Meliorist Sanctum

"I'm sorry I've been so off lately..." Sinéad's voice fades off slightly as she holds one of the black pawns in between her index finger and thumb. She's sitting on one of the tables that I'd just removed the chessboard from, the Saturday morning one of dreary rain. Sinéad had offered to help me put away the chess club room and tidy up as I didn't on Friday after the events that happened.

I set another board off to the side on a desk and ask her, "What's wrong?"

That's obvious...

...she's not the only one who's off lately...everyone in the school is, and I can't blame them. Teachers are turning a blind eye because of most of them...vampires. I wonder if any of them have even attempted to get in contact with Dante.

Probably not.

It's not like it's disrupting the educational part of the school.

Not yet anyways...

...however, it's affecting the whole purpose of what Meliorist Sanctum stands for.

Even my parents can't turn a blind eye to this if it's proven...

Sinéad plays with the piece in her hand as she sighs, "I shouldn't have grouped you while associating you with your brother..." her eyes meet with mine, and I see the regret lingering in them, "I just got so angry."

"I'm used to being blamed for everything," I shrug my shoulders, part of me upset that she saw me as an extension of Ciarán.

"Acacia...please understand that it wasn't just humans and werewolves that were affected by the vampire reign..." she's a little frustrated as she tries to explain the way she'd been so quick to judge, "...my mother told me about how mermaids and sirens never even came up past the water's surface, fear clouding everything we knew. I saw flashes of what she explained to Niamh and I...it..." she can't bring herself to say anything more as I note the thin edge in her tone.

Looking at her closely I reply, "I get it."

Releasing a heavy sigh, I accidentally knock one of the chess boards to the floor. Shaking my head, I kneel down to pick it up, Sinéad hesitantly asking, "How did...Ciarán?"

"I now understand how he truly sees everyone," it's hard fighting the bitterness from my voice. Rising to my feet and setting the board with the rest I state, "He's one of the many who continues to brag about and refer to me as Mercury's girlfriend." Tears form in my eyes as I lift my gaze to the ceiling, fighting back the tears before continuing, "Oh, not to mention that he wanted to group Rian into that mess...just when I thought I found a vampire that's not like the rest he turns out to be Mercury's cousin."

Sinéad's eyes widen at the light I shine on that subject, but she doesn't get a chance to reply to me because Rian is standing in the doorway. His eyes rest on me, and I hear it in his voice as he says, "Your friend grouped you with your brother...and she was wrong," he pauses as I realize he's been lingering longer than I'd realized. Before I can say anything, he cuts me off, "So what makes you think you're any different grouping me with my cousin? Hm?"

"You won't believe m-"

Rian cuts me off once again while taking a few steps into the chess club room, Sinéad setting her feet down on the floor as she takes her stance in regards to his approach. His eyes flicker from her before they rest on me as he says, "What? Believe you aren't dating my cousin just because others say you are?"