Chapter 25

Colby's POV

I didn't think that my relationship with my family could get any worse. Thursday was my birthday and so far Grandma was the only one who had said anything. I saw her before I got downstairs and everyone else was downstairs when I got there.

Clara was waiting for me outside school and I hated that I was in a bad mood.

"Happy Birthday you young child," she teased.

I smiled and kissed her.

"For a change, I'm going to take you out tonight," she smiled.

Calvin ran into me and he wished me happy birthday as well. I smiled but I still wasn't in the best mood. My family couldn't even be bother remembering my birthday but next month when it is Adam's birthday it will be a big deal.

I took my seat in Bio beside Clara and we still had ten minutes before class started so it meant that I had time to get stuck in my thoughts.

Sometimes I just wish I got to experience what it was like to be the favourite like Adam is. I wanted to not spend so much time fighting with my parents but I'm not going to change myself to stop that. I always promised myself that I wasn't going to change to suit anyone.

"Colby, you seem out of it," Clara said, waving her hand in front of my face.

I just offered her a smile and didn't say anything. Clara and I didn't end up going to training but we checked it with Coach and he told us that it was fine. I'm not sure if it was pity or because it's my birthday or something else but I wasn't complaining.

I briefly went home and changed but the house was silent and I loved that. It meant I didn't have to deal with anything. Clara picked me up for a change and it was nice.

"You look beautiful," I told her and kissed her.

She was wearing a baby blue dress that reached her knees. It had a lace around the necklace and around the waist. I didn't ask where we were going because I knew that she wasn't going to tell me. We pulled up in front of a small Italian restaurant and I opened the door for Clara.

She smiled at me and we got seated at a small table next to the window. We both ordered and then I grabbed her hands across the table.

"Thank you for this," I said.

"I'm your girlfriend. Of course I'm going to do this for you," she said.

I smiled and we started talking. I liked spending this time alone with Clara because we always seem to have a nice flowing conversation. We could talk about anything and it was always comfortable. Our food came not long later and I had this beautiful pasta with a tomato sauce.

Clara paid for dinner which I complain about.

"It's your birthday. I'm going to pay for dinner," she told me.

I didn't bother protesting anymore because I knew that she wasn't to listen to me. We headed out of the restaurant and we ended up back at the cliff because it was just somewhere we liked to spent time because it was quiet. I left my crutches in Clara car and wrapped my arms around her and used her for support.

We sat down on the edge and sat there for a few minutes.

"I have something for you," she said.

"You didn't have to," I told her.

She just smirked at me and gave me a wrapped present. I slowly opened it and it was a shoe box. I looked at her and she just smirked. The box was taped shut and it took me a couple of minutes in the dark.