The Voice of the Soul Part 11

Silence

In spite of how tired Lan Zhan is, sleep doesn't come until the early hours of the morning. His fully charged phone is silent, no notifications from anyone yet. He scrolls to Wei Ying's chat and goes through the last messages.

Wei Ying must have sent them after Lan Zhan was brought home by his brother.

Wei Ying: Lan Zhan, my love, I miss you already!😢😭😭😭

Wei Ying: But I can look forward to kissing your beautiful face in a few hours! I'll be home soon. I can't wait to snuggle up to you tonight, Lan Er-Gege...❤️❤️‍🔥👀🦴 and hopefully we can greet each other properly tomorrow morning! 😆😘🤭😶‍🌫️🥵😎🥹👉👌🍆🍑

Lan Zhan might need some help deciphering those emojis, but he gets the general idea. His ears heat up and he quickly finds Huaisang on his phone. He's never had to message him in the past, just when they arranged times to meet up for the band, but out of everyone, he's the one Lan Zhan trusts now.

LZ: Good morning, Huaisang. Have you heard anything from Wei Ying yet?

Immediately, blue ticks appear and three dots after the typing word under his name.

NHS: No. But I think there's a connection between him suddenly pulling a Houdini and our contracts being cancelled. I talked to Da-Ge about that. I think we have grounds to sue, but he says there's no point going up against a monster like the Jin Music company.

LZ: I agree. The timing cannot be a coincidence. But I have another question for you. When you were all at the hospital, did Jiang Cheng get a phone call just before he left?

NHS: How did you know? Yeah, he did. Totally lost it after that. I tried to stop him but he shoved me away.

LZ:Jjust a guess for now, but I think it was one of the Wens. They wanted to lure him away. I would even say that the attack on Jiang YanLi was part of it.

NHS: I'm coming over.

LZ: I will be ready.

**********

The fragrance of cooked rice reaches him as Lan Zhan steps out of his room. He'd forgotten that XiChen is still here. And if Huaisang is coming over, then Lan Zhan isn't sure he wants his brother here then. But if he's cooking, then that means breakfast, which is another good half hour.

Huaisang has never been on time in his life, and that's what Lan Zhan is counting on.

XiChen has almost finished setting the table for them.

It feels strange to be eating on the table; when it's Wei Ying and himself, they usually sit in the lounge and eat, either watching some trash TV or keeping up with a series that Lan Zhan has been roped into. But since XiChen looked out for him last night, Lan Zhan is going to be good about this. Plus, he's hungry and nothing like congee works better on a morning like this.

"No word from Wei Ying, then?" XiChen asks him, when they begin cleaning up after they've finished eating.

"Not yet. A couple of messages before Jiang YanLi collapsed. Nothing relating to his whereabouts."

XiChen looks thoughtful.

The doorbell rings and Lan Zhan goes to open it. He didn't want to lie to his brother in any way, and now it seems inevitable that XiChen is going to stay.

Huaisang is unsurprised to see XiChen there.

"I'm actually glad you're here," he tells him.

This is the first time Lan Zhan has seen him being so serious.