The Voice of the Soul Part 9

Finale

Huaisang is fanning himself furiously while MianMian is leaning back in her chair, watching all of them. She's the most relaxed one out of the five, and the first one to agree.

They're sitting outside a cafe, the five of them, Huaisang, MianMian, Jiang Cheng, Lan Zhan and Wei Ying. Wei Ying has just paid for their coffees, a tea for Lan Zhan and they're waiting for the other three to catch up with the exciting news.

"So? Thoughts?" Wei Ying prods, grabbing Lan Zhan's wrist and checking the time for himself on his watch. He just explained to them what happened with Jin GuanShan.

The Jin tower looms in the distance, the flower lit up with garish lights because it's nighttime in Shanghai now, and the city thrives after dark.

"You can't just spring something like this on us and expect an answer straight away!" Jiang Cheng explodes. He's been simmering under the surface ever since he got here with the other two, and now it's all spewing out of his mouth. "Do you have any idea what the fuck mother is going to say about this? Fuck!" He runs an agitated hand through his hair leaving it sticking up in places. "She's already on my case about Monday and getting you to settle down. I mean, what the fuck, man?" He scowls at Wei Ying.

Lan Zhan reaches over to take Wei Ying's hand, a tight fist clenched on the table. He draws out the other's fingers, loosening their grip and then entwines his own through them so they're palm to palm. He can feel Wei Ying staring at the side of his face, but he stares directly at Jiang Cheng, his golden eyes fixed on amethyst ones spitting with rage.

"I trust Wei Ying. I will sign the contract if Wei Ying does."

"Fucking hell," Huaisang murmurs, putting his fan down. "Lan Zhan, are you sure? Think about it, because your uncle is just as bad as his aunt." There's a side eye towards Wei Ying.

"I don't need to." Decision made, Lan Zhan keeps a hold of Wei Ying's hand and leans back in his chair, giving the impression of a relaxed person casually sharing a drink with his friends. But on the inside, he's like a coiled panther ready to strike. His golden eyes glitter menacingly, daring Jiang Cheng to disagree with his Wei Ying.

"That's three out of five!" Wei Ying crows, wiggling in his seat.

God, he's so cute!

Lan Zhan steadfastly remains glaring at Jiang Cheng. He's a Saint for doing it, though.

"Well, you guys know how much Da-Ge is telling me to grow up and make my own choices..." Huaisang says.

The sly little bastard.

He's grinning.

Wei Ying whoops and punches the air. "That's four! Come on, Cheng Cheng! Sign it! Sign it!" he unintentionally starts a chant, until four voices are shamelessly pressurising the Jiang heir.

"Okay! Fine!" Jiang Cheng shouts over them and then he has his arms full of a delighted screeching gremlin, Wei Ying with his tactile personality all over his brother.

For the first time in a long time, hope flares deeply within all of them at the possibility of this new chance, an opportunity to shine, to show the world what they're made of.

***************

Arm in arm, a show of solidarity, they walk towards the Jin Tower until they reach the diamond studded revolving doors and realise that they have to separate. Security checks them over and once they're past the screening equipment, they go to the receptionist who checks their names and makes a phone call to one of the higher levels.

"Mr. Jin will see you now," she tells them, offering a small smile. She points towards the elevators behind them where a uniformed bellboy awaits. He enters behind them, his gaze curious and open.