Crime & Chaos Part 4

Wei WuXian is pacing, unseeing as he walks back and forth, hands clenched in his hair.

"Are you sure you had the fan in the bathroom?" Wen Qing asks him again. "You didn't drop it anywhere?"

"Yes!" Wei Ying doesn't mean to snap, and he throws her an apologetic glance.

He keeps going round and round in circles in his head, tracing his steps back from the moment he lets himself drop from the ceiling in the bathroom, where he made damn sure the fan was in his pocket and not left somewhere in the maze of steel tunnelling.

So, the only explanation that comes to mind is that somebody pickpocketed it from him.

The question is, who?

The only person to approach him in between Lan Zhan...and Lan Zhan...

It was only Lan Zhan!

Only Lan Zhan had gotten close enough to him to be able to lift the fan from his pocket and Wei Ying being so distracted by his verbal blunder, and the whole subject matter entirely, that he had failed to notice what was happening.

"It's Lan Zhan," he whispers, as the first stirrings of anger sweep through him.

"You don't know that!" Wen Qing stands up, clearly having had enough of him.

"But Qing-Jie, he was the only one who got anywhere near enough to do it!" Wei Ying is absolutely convinced it's him.

"Wei WuXian, read my lips: You. Do. Not. Know. For. Sure. You said it yourself, you got distracted. It could have been any one of those hundreds of guests, and look, I'm not blaming you, okay?" She runs a hand through her hair, barely preventing herself from yawning again. "Listen, we're all tired. It's been a long day, and an even longer night. Let's just go to sleep and think about it tomorrow, when we'll be in a better frame of mind to think logically about it. Okay?"

She gives him a half-hearted hug and saunters past him, with Wen Ning following behind. He does smile sweetly at Wei WuXian, though.

No.

No, it's not fucking okay, Wei WuXian thinks, obstinately. Just a few hours ago, he was patting himself on the back because their scoresheet was equal. One point to the pain in the Butt, and one point to himself. The acquisition of the fan made it two points for him, and one point to the P.I.T.B.

But now...since he was convinced it was Lan Zhan, that meant they lost a point to him. It was now one measly point for himself and two points for Lan Zhan.

Normally, Wei Ying liked to think he was fairly okay about losing. It happens, you win some, you lose some, and life goes on. But that sneaky little devil had stolen the fan out from right under his nose, and there was no way Wei WuXian was taking that lying down.

He pulls out his phone and rings Huaisang.

"Listen, there's been a bit of a glitch," he starts off saying.

"Hey, don't look at me! I didn't breathe a word of this to A-Yao, I mean, anyone," he protests.

"Until we sort this out, I'm going to blame you," Wei WuXian tells him, ignoring his histrionics. "So by rights, you owe me. Now tell me, where are the Lans staying tonight?" He listens carefully to everything Huaisang tells him. "Alright. Just one more thing. Can you have a little something sent to my apartment?" He gives Huaisang precise instructions on what he wants.

"Are you going to get it back, Young Master Wei?" Huaisang finally asks him.

"I don't know," Wei WuXian replies truthfully, and hangs up.