The Legend Of The Lady

XiChen reads the letter from Lotus Pier again, and his brow furrows with worry.

"Dear Zewu-Jun,

I hope this letter finds you well and that the Lan Clan is well.

I understand that today is the last of the year. However, that is exactly why I need your help. We request that Hanguang-Jun be dispatched immediately to help with a strange case.

For a long time now, there have been rumours of a yaoguai haunting one lake in particular, only visible in the early hours of the new year. I myself have never seen it, but the reports are terrifying. I will not waste your time with details. I would not have asked this of you, but our Head Disciple is intending to slay the beast tonight or tomorrow morning.

Unfortunately, I am bedridden and cannot assist my stup- brother.

Thank you, and I am hoping for a favourable response.

Jiang WanYin."

The door opens, and Lan Zhan enters, gracefully sitting down in front of him after bowing.

"Good morning, WangJi. What do you think of this?" XiChen hands the letter over.

Lan Zhan reads it and lifts his golden eyes towards his brother once before reading it again. Then he puts it down on the table between them, holds his sleeve, and pours fresh hot tea into two cups, serving his brother and then himself.

"Well?"

"Honest opinion?"

"Of course." XiChen hides a smile behind his teacup.

"Is this really sent from Lotus Pier?"

"Yes. Trusted messenger. Also, the style is too curt and abrupt for anyone else, usually requesting assistance, which adds authenticity. You are aware of Jiang-Zhongzu's disposition."

A crease appears between Lan Zhan's brow, which to anyone else would hardly be noticeable, but XiChen recognises it as a frown.

"The letter itself is straight to the point and devoid of flowery language. However, the Jiang Clan is strong and skilled. Why would they need our help?"

"Exactly. So the question I have to put to you is this: Are you willing to go and assist even if we know something is fishy about this? The timing is not ideal, but perhaps Jiang-Zhongzu will allow the normal celebrations in relation to the New Year."

"Yes. I will go." There's not a second of doubt.

"Uncle will be disappointed."

"We must answer any call of need. This is no different." Tricky finding an excuse to warrant him answering that request, but as always, rules come to his rescue.

"Very well. I shall send our reply as such. But WangJi?"

"Mn?"

"Be careful, and do not take unnecessary risks."

Lan Zhan stands up and bows. He reaches the door when XiChen stops him again.

"And please give my regards to Wei WuXian."

Lan Zhan nods once and leaves. Perhaps he is not as subtle as he thinks. It occurs to him. But he has achieved the desired result and now must get ready to depart.

First, he goes back to the Jingshi to pack anything he might need, including his second set of pale blue robes. Then he changes his clothes to his most favourite set of pale blue robes and pauses.

Wei Ying would never ask for help, not because he was arrogant but because he would hate to put anyone else in danger, and certainly not on his behalf. Everything about this situation seems questionable, but the request has come from Lotus Pier, and that's as good as Wei Ying himself.