A Piece Of Cake Part 2

Lan Zhan stares at the ring binder with the detachable parts. It's bulging at the seams, ready to break even by just his glance, let alone touching it.

He can appreciate the amount of work XiChen must have put into it, researching backdrops, decorations, swag styles, flowers; arrangements and garlands, bouquets, menus, seating plans, table decor, and the list goes on. It is exhausting.

It is also making Lan Zhan's head hurt.

Liebing, XiChen's ragdoll cat meows helpfully and pounces into his lap, and the claws are momentary because she's a sweetheart really and just wants his attention.

It's almost comical how XiChen went from "We're not ready to be more than boyfriends" to marriage with a Cat-child to boot. And to see MingJue with Liebing is even funnier, since the man is a wall of muscle, and yet the tenderness he displays with their newest family member makes Lan Zhan think he would make a great dad.

Maybe some music will help, because the usually relaxing tea isn't doing what it says on the packet.

He settles on the music of Ja and begins to Google how to plan a wedding.

XiChen might have many ideas, and it's great in the way a Jackson Pollock painting makes sense: many bright splashes of colour in random and haphazard ways, however, a sensible path from A to B they are not.

It is the job of the wedding planners to make sense of what XiChen really wants, and if there's a fine line between what is actually doable and what he absolutely cannot do without, that's Lan Zhan's job to take care of it.

So he's having a little bit of sympathy towards Jiang Cheng regarding this.

The venue is sorted because unbeknownst to Lan Zhan, XiChen had wanted to go with Lotus Pier Events, mostly sold by the Crystal Room. He wants to go for an Enchanted Forest theme (Lan Zhan is NOT rolling his eyes at that. There's something in them), and that's for the reception.

Reception?

Lan Zhan checks his notes again.

There's the traditional Chinese ceremony, taking place second and the week after the civil wedding held at Wei Ying's home.

No mention of a reception.

But there's a whole section of the Ring Binder that is dedicated to a third thing, this reception, which he didn't even know was a thing.

That makes three events instead of two.

Does Jiang Cheng even know about this?

Lan Zhan pulls out his phone to call him and then remembers what his reaction had been, two days ago, to the four month time limit.

There's no way this is going to go well, regardless of whether the matter is brought to light via phone, or in person, but Lan Zhan hopes his efforts to be more transparent will be appreciated in the long run.

His best hope is that Jiang Cheng already knows about the reception, or at least has twigged that this is a possibility, since XiChen and MingJue don't really care how much money they have to throw at this thing in order to make it happen. The worst-case scenario will be if Jiang Cheng loses his shit.

At least, if Lan Zhan goes there directly, there's a huge chance he will get to see Wei Ying again. That's a huge chunk in the pro list of whether he should go or not.

They say that absence makes the heart grow fonder, and that is certainly true for Lan Zhan.

All through the four years they spent sort of together through university, Lan Zhan was beginning to suspect he was growing feelings towards his friend, and he was at a loss to know what to do with them. The moment they graduated, everyone went their separate ways, and that was that.