Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

Chapter Twenty One: Cat and Mouse

"I have to go shower or I'm going to be late for work

"I have to go shower or I'm going to be late for work."

It's like there is a chill in the air when Ryan pulls away, leaving me breathless and unsatisfied. He busies himself on the other side of the kitchen, pulling a protein shake out of the fridge and downing it in seconds. For a moment, I'm speechless, the abrupt shift leaving me confused.

Was I day dreaming? Did I imagine all those sugary sweet words he was saying? Had he not just threatened to have sex with me on this very counter? And now he was just heading off to work?

"Work? I thought you were off today. You're really not going to cash in on any of those promises you just made?"

When he glances back at me with that charming smirk, I know this was his intention all along.

"Oh, I plan on cashing in... I'm just covering a short shift today and I'll be home around nine." He reaches behind me, hands planted at the base of my neck as he leans in and presses his lips to mine in a kiss that's torturously short. "But I want you to spend all day with those thoughts in your mind. To think about what I'm going to do to you when I get home. Imagine how ready you'll be for me then." He smirks. "In fact, you'll probably be so needy and deprived that you'll hardly let me through the door."

Part of me is turned on, and part of me is annoyed by his confidence. I mean, he's right, but does he really need to dangle it in front of me that way?

"You think I've got no self control?" I arch an eyebrow at him. I've never been one to back down from a challenge and Ryan's dangerously close to presenting me one. And then I'll be forced to prove him wrong.

"I think you know what you want, and after the look I saw in your eyes last night... we want exactly the same thing. You're just going to have to trust me on this one. It'll be worth it, I promise." He gives me one last smile before pulling away a final time and heading down the hall toward his bedroom. "Make sure and get Hallie to bed early tonight, will you?"

That damn wink.

Ryan likes the chase. The build up. The anticipation. He likes to play games.

He disappears and I realize that I'm actually running late myself.

After weeks of back and forth, today is the day that I'm finally going to go over to see my dad at the station. We are all set up for lunch at noon and I've got just enough time to shower before heading over there.

At least I'll be able to put Ryan and his antagonizing out of my mind while I'm there. I'm more excited about the visit than I expected, which is probably thanks to Ryan. After last night, and the promise of much more to come, I'm not sure there's anything that can dampen my mood today.

Or maybe he's just softening my stance on firefighters all together.

When I get out of the shower, there's a note left in my bed.