Wattpad Original
There are 21 more free parts

Chapter Four: Desperation

"What?" Ryan's face twists in confusion

Neither one of us can believe the words that just came out of my mouth. Maybe I still have a lack of oxygen to my brain after that run, because there is no way I just offered to babysit for him after the disaster that's been our correspondence so far.

After he's already turned me down for the job once.

I can still backtrack, but instead of taking that opportunity, I dig myself an even bigger hole. "Go. Take care of what you need to at work and I can hang out with Hallie."

It's a dumb idea, and he's probably going to pull the pride card and refuse altogether, but I can't help it. I see how much he's struggling and as much as I don't want to admit it, I'm developing a soft spot. Not for Ryan, but for Hallie.

Growing up, I was Hallie. Two parents entangled in a brutal divorce. A string of babysitters just trying to make a buck. A dad who was too wrapped up in his job to ever really be around. I would have given anything for someone who understood what I was going through.

"Look, I appreciate the offer Lila, but I'm not sending my daughter home with a virtual stranger." He brushes me off. "No offense."

"I'm hardly a stranger. Yesterday, you were willing to interview me to take care of her full time. You have my resume–you know I'm overqualified for this, and I know that you need the help."

Ryan can't argue with me there, although by the look on his face, he wants to. He doesn't seem like a guy who is used to any pushback or accepting defeat so easily—firefighters usually aren't.

But we both know he's in way over his head here, and after another morning of failed job interviews, so am I. I'm a believer in fate, and with three chance meetings like this, maybe someone is trying to tell us something.

Maybe we're both exactly what the other needs right now.

For strictly logistical reasons.

"It's just a couple of hours, Ryan. I know firefighters – that call sounded important. Consider this a favor. I'll take her back to your place, get her some dinner, and we'll watch Encanto until you get home. I promise she'll be in good hands."

"She doesn't take to new people easily." He starts running through his list of excuses why this can't work. "And she likes her routine. I haven't explained it to you and sometimes if things are off, she'll go into a complete meltdown. I'm talking, like, if you give her the wrong cup..."

"Sounds like a typical toddler," I assure him. "I put myself through college as a nanny, so I've had plenty of experience with that kind of thing. I can handle it."

Ryan lets out a heavy breath as he stares down at his watch. He's running out of time and excuses.

"Hallie," he calls, waving her over. "Would it be okay if Lila came over for a while tonight and played with you while daddy..."