Wattpad Original
There are 23 more free parts

Chapter Two: The Interview

Life can be funny

Life can be funny.

Like when the mean girl from high school gets a bad haircut. Or when the guy who cut you off gets pulled over for speeding a few streets up.

What's not funny is when you desperately need a job and show up for an interview, only to come face to face with the asshole who totaled your car the day before.

What makes it even less funny is that he's a hot firefighter asshole—the very worst kind. Broad shoulders, wickedly handsome smile, biceps bulging against his black t-shirt as he holds an adorable toddler in his arms. The dad thing is a good look for him.

He's definitely got potential, you know, if not for the whole arrogant firefighter thing.

Ryan bends down, setting the little girl on the ground. "Hallie, why don't you go wait for me in the living room, okay? We can watch a show for a few minutes before it's nap time."

She glances up at me, and then back to her dad before turning and disappearing into the house.

"You're serious?" Ryan stands, looking back at me in pure terror as the reality of our situation sinks in. "You're Lila Edwards?"

I nod, biting onto my lip. This has got to go down as one of the most awkward job interviews in history. Actually, I probably can't even call it that because there's no way we'll even make it to the interview portion at all.

After yesterday, I'd rather live in a box than take a job from this guy.

Which is starting to look like a very real possibility.

Three weeks ago, I was picking grapes at a vineyard in Tuscany, eating my weight in pasta and living without a care in the world. Now I was back to reality, desperately searching for a job so that I didn't have to pay an arm and a leg in rent or go groveling to my dad for help. Until this very second, this posting seemed like the perfect opportunity–an easy babysitting job, steady salary to pay off my student loans, and a free room in an upscale apartment in the middle of the city.

Now that I'm staring at the same hot-head firefighter from yesterday, it's clear some things really are too good to be true.

"Um, okay." He swallows, searching for words. He rakes his fingers through his thick brown hair, and I can't help but notice his bare ring finger. He's clearly flustered and antsy.

As much as I enjoy seeing him squirm, I decide to end both of our miseries, since this is obviously going nowhere.

"Look, we don't have to..."

Just as I'm about to let the guy off the hook, a piercing scream comes from inside the house.

Ryan bolts, face ghost-white as he rushes into the house. In his urgency, he leaves the front door wide open, and I'm not sure what possesses me, but I follow, shutting it behind me.