Wattpad Original
There are 17 more free parts

Chapter Nine: Dads and Daughters

"Let's go!" Tanner's voice booms off the walls of the bay as he paces up and down the rows of us all doing push ups

"Let's go!" Tanner's voice booms off the walls of the bay as he paces up and down the rows of us all doing push ups. It's a training day, which means for the last hour he's been putting us through an absolutely hellacious workout. Sprints and push ups and more burpees than I can even count.

There's a reason our team is always the best, and it's because he's so meticulous about the preparation, but this is even more extreme than usual.

"Jesus Christ..." Coop hunches over, trying to catch his breath. "What's got him so angry this morning?"

Brooks wipes the sweat off of his forehead. "He's not angry, he's nervous. He's finally popping the question this weekend."

"Thank... God." I'm so out of breath I can hardly get the words out. "Maybe he can chill out once that's over."

"Or maybe she'll say no and he'll get even worse."

"Less talking, more running!" Tanner barks.

After what seems like an eternity, Tanner finally calls it quits and I collapse back onto the mat, Brooks and Coop on either side of me.

"It's barely 7 AM and I'm already exhausted." Brooks heaves, combing his fingers through his hair.

"I think I could eat an entire cow right now," Coop says. "Or at least four dozen donuts."

Donuts... donuts... donuts... Why does that sound so...

"Oh, shit." I shoot up, rubbing my forehead. "It's really already seven?"

Brooks nods. "What? You got a hot date with the nanny or something?"

"No, you idiot." I groan, ripping my shirt off and dabbing at the sweat all over my body. I don't even know if I have time to shower at this point. "Hallie started her new play group and today they're having a Donuts with Dads breakfast. I promised her I'd be there and I even switched shifts with Schmidtty to make it work, but then Tanner called this training and I forgot all about it... and now I have thirty minutes to make a forty-five minute drive."

"Then I guess you better get going." Brooks says, still barely able to lift his head off the mat. "We'll just be right here 'til you get back."

It takes me less than five minutes to rinse off and change my clothes, and I'm on my way. Even with Lila, balancing all of my responsibilities at home and at work is harder than I expected, and it takes everything in me not to drop the ball. With the custody battle looming over my head, I can't afford any screw ups.

After doing ten over the entire way here, I pull into the rec center at seven thirty-five—not nearly as late as I expected. The place is packed, but I finally find a parking space and whip into it. Jogging inside, I make my way into Hallie's classroom.

Hallie's at a little table with a few other kids and the teacher is placing adult size chairs next to each one, while another passes out donuts.

"Ryan?" Lila sees me and her eyes widen.