Wattpad Original
Te quedan 10 partes más de forma gratuita

Chapter Sixteen: Famous Last Words

Of all the times for Ryan to come home early, it had to be tonight

The night I was melting my stress away in a hot bubble bath, sipping on a glass of wine. The night I decided I didn't need to put clothes, or even a robe, on to go refill my glass in the kitchen on the other side of the house. The night I mistakenly grabbed a hand towel instead of the bath towel underneath it, and decided against exchanging it. I was alone, after all— did it really matter?

Except I wasn't alone. And, yes, it did really matter.

If I wasn't so embarrassed, I might actually find this entertaining.

My boss just caught me parading around his house wearing nothing but a skimpy bath towel. Not only did it barely cover me, but it was the type of material that's so flimsy its nearly see-through, and I might as well have been baring it all when he walked in. Now that I think about it, I really can't imagine a universe that this might be funny in.

Not when I'm fighting with the guy. Not when there has been so much sexual tension between the two of us that I've nearly drowned in it. Not when our lines are so clearly defined they might as well be marked with big, red Sharpie x's.

Part of me wants to stay in here and hide all night, avoiding Ryan altogether until my shame fizzles a bit. The only issue is that in my rush to leave the situation, I left my phone in the kitchen.

When I open my bedroom door, I listen for a second. Most of the house is quiet, and I suck in a sharp breath, bolstering all the courage I can find. Everything is ark, but I can see the shadow of my phone on the counter. Right as I reach for it, a tall, dark figure comes around the opposite corner and freezes.

Ryan.

Neither of us expected to see the other, and now we're in a standoff, both of us waiting for the other to make the first move. Luckily, Ryan takes the lead, stepping back a bit as he's going to run away again.

"You don't have to rush away." I smirk. "I'm fully clothed this time."

"Too bad."

"Excuse me?" I don't know why his forwardness surprises me at this point. He's got no qualms about saying what's on his mind, and there's a part of me that can appreciate that. Just maybe not when he's talking about me being naked so casually.

Ryan steps further into the kitchen, flicking the switch and dim lights come up. He's so nonchalant, I almost wonder if I misheard him, but when I catch that grin, I know I haven't. "Nothing."

"I just was saying I'm sorry I caught you off guard," he leans forward against the granite counter, intense blue eyes trained on me and every move that I make. "And to be totally clear, I didn't rush away because you didn't have any clothes on. I rushed away because I could tell you were embarrassed and I didn't want to make things awkward for you."