Wattpad Original
There are 14 more free parts

Chapter Twelve: Fire is My Thing

I've had a lot of terrible ideas in my lifetime

Like the time in high school when my cousin and I drove down to Tijuana, but ended up in a Bordertown jail because my driver's license was expired. Or the time Brooks dared me to ride the mechanical bull at a bar when we were out celebrating Tanner's captaincy and I nearly broke my collarbone. Or the time I planned a deep sea fishing trip the morning after my buddy's bachelor party— it doesn't take a genius to figure out how that one turned out. Yeah, the list is about a mile long, but this one has to take the cake.

If I thought that keeping things professional with Lila when we were at home was tough, then keeping things professional while spending an afternoon on the beach with her in the skimpy bikini should be considered an Olympic sport.

In all honesty, the realization doesn't hit me until we're here and I'm setting up the umbrella. Lila laid out a few towels and now she peels off her shorts and tank top, showing off a body that literally has me salivating. Flawless hourglass figure. Long, tanned legs. Vicious curves that leave no mercy, making my heart pound so hard it rings in my ears. She's so gorgeous it's painful. When she bends over and rummages through the beach bag, I have to turn away to keep whatever semblance of composure I've got left.

Damn. What exactly have I done to myself here? It's not like I haven't been around the block a few times, but one look at Lila has me feeling like I'm in middle school all over again. Palms sweaty, chest tight, remembering next to nothing about how to speak to a woman. What the hell is the matter with me? Is this just the fallout of my relationship drought? The forbidden fruit thing? Where is my game? Where is my subtlety?

"Alright, come here," Lila drops to her knees, holding a bottle of sunscreen in her hands and squeezing a little out. If she notices me checking her out, she doesn't mention it. "Let's get some sunscreen on you and then you can go play."

To my surprise, Hallie doesn't protest and lets Lila rub it all over her. As soon as she's done, Hallie goes bounding off to the edge of the water. I'm not worried about her going in because she's pretty terrified of the ocean. We've come here a few times since she came to live with me, and I still have yet to coax her in higher than her toes. Some days that's even asking too much.

"It looks like she loves it." Lila smiles, keeping a close eye on her.

I nod, taking a break for the snap set up. I stand next to her, but I'm careful to keep my distance. "She likes to look at it. Still too nervous to go in. Not many oceans in Nebraska where she's been living."

"This has to be such a change for her." Lila's lost in thought as we both watch Hallie as she chases the waves up the sand. She shrieks, dissolving into giggles every time it skims her toes. "You never know, today might be the day."

"It might." I chuckle, even though I know it probably won't.

Lila starts rubbing the sunscreen on her own shoulders and then turns to me. "Hey could you help my with this? I can't reach this spot on my back."