21

2 weeks later

Life's been really great with Alycia so far. We've grown fairly comfortable with each other these last couple weeks, but we haven't rushed our relationship at all, which has been nice.

It's also been a while since the incident with my father. Emotionally, its definitely taken its toll on me, but my injuries are finally healing to manageable level. The freedom from physical pain has given my lungs a new breath of fresh air, it was like I could finally approach my daily life with some sort of happiness. And to end every day with Alycia, made that feeling all that much more great.

The bell rang, and I made my way to gym class where I caught up with Gray as usual. When he turned toward me, his eyes lit up and he jumped, grasping my shoulder tightly. "Dude! You signed up for it didn't you?" I felt my face blush and I dropped my head, scratching the back of my head before nodding.

"Fuck yeah! You're gonna kick ass, I just know it," he exclaimed, seeming more excited than I was. 

"Yeah, I don't know. It's been a while since I've played football.. I'm not sure how good I'll be," I admitted. Gray slung an arm over my shoulders, patting his hand and shaking his head. 

"No, you got this bro. You get to practice before, so it'll be fine. Besides, you're only playing against other girls anyway."

I shot him a look and moved my arms to my hips, jokingly getting in his face. "Oh, what? You don't think I can take a man?" He gave me a hard shove, almost pushing me into the wall as he let out a loud cackle. "I'd like to see you try," he challenged me, and I shook my head, shoving him even harder now. I walked closer to him, trying to get in his face, but was quickly pushed back by a hand that separated the two of us.

"Hey, hey. Don't fight her, Gray. Don't want to be getting any pity suspensions because of her ass," Darren spoke up, giving us a sly smirk as he walked passed. Gray furrowed eyebrows, getting ready to charge at him, but I grabbed his arm, holding him back.

"Fuck off, Darren. Mind your damn business," I called out, nodding my head up. He just rolled his eyes at me and walked into the gym. I turned my head at the sound of Gray's scoff, he looked pissed.

"I hate that kid," he muttered, and I nodded my head carelessly. "Don't we all?"

---------------------------------------

"Hike!"

I dug my cleats into the grass, sprinting toward the defense before quickly changing my direction and shooting out a hand towards the open field. I watched as the girl through the ball in the air, my eyes barely making it out through the sunlight. At the last second I saw it fall, making its way toward the ground in front of me, but I swiftly lunged forward, catching it just before it hit the ground.

"Yes!" my teammates shouted, as rolled my body off the grass. I tossed the ball to my coach and joined the huddle that was forming at the edge of the field. A few girls gave me a pat on the back and I gave them a quick nod, popping my mouth guard out before listening in.

"Alright girls, last practice before the powderpuff game. How do we feel?" the coach announced. The girls around me squealed, causing me to jump slightly but I quickly shook it off with a laugh. The coach gave us a speech and I watched as the girls all listened enthusiastically. I couldn't help but think how was crazy it was that I was here with them, huddled in a group, laughing and joking.

This was new to me, or at least, it felt that way. It's been a long time since I've put myself out here like this, and I won't lie, it was kinda nice. For the first time in a while, I felt excited. I had  this new wave of energy, a high, and I never wanted it to end. I was going to milk it for everything it was.