20

"The beach.. On a Monday?" I said, unable to believe it.

"It's warm enough," she laughed, glancing at me a moment before turning back toward the road. I shrugged my shoulders, looking out the window beside me. She was right, it was warm for your average September day, but going swimming? Maybe that's a bit much.

She pulled into the parking lot of the state park, and I was pleased to see hardly anyone at the lake. My stomach twisted at the thought of going swimming, the water was probably cold and I was shy over my exposed body, the bruises only increasing that feeling. But the fact that the lake was clear of people definitely relieved some of that stress. 

We both stepped out of the car and I grabbed the beach bag that sat at my feet, while she opened the trunk. I took off my tennis shoes and placed them on the car floor, before slipping on my sandals and walking to the trunk to help Alycia. But when I reached the back of my car, the bag slipped from my hands at the sight of Alycia removing her shirt, leaving her in a floral bikini top. She looked up at me, eyebrows raised and I dropped my head trying to hide my blushed cheeks as I reached for the bag.

"You okay?" she chuckled, tilting her head. "What? Me? Oh, yeah I'm good," I stuttered awkwardly, as I reached up to shut the trunk. She let out a laugh and I let myself as well.

"Sorry."

She smiled at me, shaking her head, "You have nothing to be sorry for." I bit my lip and she gave me a nod before turning on her heels, "let's go!" she cheered, moving toward the beach. I shook my head, smiling as I followed behind her. It was moments like these that made my stomach spin but at the same time, caused my heart to lift.

 I followed closely behind her and couldn't help the giggle that left my lips at the sight of her skipping in front of me. She turned her head, catching my eyes as she skipped, and as soon as she turned back around I felt a surge of energy rush through me, causing my feet to take off on the pavement. I ran passed her, hearing a gasp as I sprinted toward the mounds of sand.

"Hey!" I heard her call out to me, but I didn't turn around for a second. I carefully tossed the bag onto the sand, pulled off my t-shirt, leaving me in my sports bra and swim trunks, and took off again toward the water. As soon as my feet hit the water, a moment of regret flashed through me, but at that point, I couldn't stop my body that was already lunging itself into the freezing water. I flew forward, my whole body sinking under, before swimming to the surface, gasping at the cold the second I reached the air. I wiped my eyes and peered over to the beach, my eyes finding Alycia who stood by my bag, her jaw dropped, but smiling nonetheless.

I felt a smile grow on my face as well as I swam back toward the beach, my feet digging into the hot sand. I walked quickly toward her, a huge smirk on my face as she shook her head at me. 

"You weren't gonna wait for m- AHH" she squealed as I quickly wrapped my arms around her, giving her goosebumps from the cold water. I laughed, dropping my knees to the sand as she quickly jumped away and giggled. "That was mean!" she laughed, and I shrugged my shoulders, unable to wipe the smile off of my face. 

She walked back over to the bag, but paused a moment, lifting her finger at me "stay back," she jokingly warned, as she reached down to the bag. She tossed me a towel, and I opened it up, the wind helping me blow it out to lay it flat on the sand. I sat on it and pulled my knees up to my chest as she pulled out her towel, laying it next to mine. She then plopped herself on the towel, laying back and placed an arm over her eyes.

"This is nice," she sighed, and I chuckled, causing her to turn her head toward me.

"What?" 

"You're just so happy," I smiled, turning to face her, "I love it."