Chapter 31: "Marie Miller"

- Un jour je marierai un ange

 01:43 ━━━━●───── 03:50

Since I met Carl two days ago, I've had a weird feeling. I feel watched. It's not the same as when it was marie. It's different in a way I don't like. Not to add that two nights in a row I've had the same awful memory popping into my mind. In it, I'm getting beat up by ...two adults, I guess. I didn't add this information to my board since, now, Silver has access to it. I don't want him to be worried ... and he will probably force me to tell James. And I don't want him to know about the board or to get worried.

"Hey, 'Marie'."

"Waaaa! Oh my god...Who-oh Carl."

The new student is standing right in front of me, with a large smile - a little creepy- smile on his face. Should I be worried that he found me behind the gymnasium when I was supposed to meet up with Silver? Probably...

"We haven't talked much since last time... Do you mind?"

I do, actually. Because it's a bit weird. But I guess I have some time to spare before Silver arrives. I nod and he smiles. He sat next to me as I put my phone away. I will not use the list of questions James made, this time. 

"So, you're James's little sister?" he asks.

Okay, that's an easy question. Come on, Marie, you can do this!

"Yes, we aren't blood-related, actually, but I see him as my brother."

He nods and stays silent for a minute. Is he thinking of my answer or of what question he will ask next?

"You are an exchange student, right? Where are you from in France?"

Ah...this is more complicated. What to tell? No, first, who told him I was an exchange student?

"I'm not ... an exchange student, Carl. I'm here ..."

Do I tell him about my memory loss? Does he have to know? No...I don't need to tell a stranger about my problem.

"I have a health problem...that's why I went to the hospital two days ago."

"Oh...," He seems disappoint. "It must be hard to be away from your homeland and family because of a health problem."

I shrug my shoulder... how would I know? I still need to answer, though. 

"Yeah... it was at first but I got used to it and I'm good here. With James and the group..."

He stares at me as if he's trying to figure out if I'm telling the truth.

"You seem close...but which town are you from in France? Maybe you're near me!"

Fuck...I don't know. I can't answer Paris, he's going to ask me which part of Paris and I don't know any. He's looking straight into my soul...

"Marie!"

Oh, thank you, Silver! My savior is running toward us, balancing his arm to indicate his position. I smile and do the same. I stand up and Carl does the same. Silver arrives and takes a deep breath.

"Oh hey Carl, Liam has been looking for you," he says before looking at me. "What are you doing here, anyway?"

Carl smiles. Ugh, I don't like this... he's creeping me out.

"I was just chatting with 'Marie', by the way, how did you get your scar besides your eye?"

Oh oh. I look at Silver. Yeah, I can see that his eyes got darker. Even though I tried to comfort him, he still thinks it's his fault. He opens his mouth, ready to answer and blame himself.

"It's..."

"I got into an accident...some month ago, that's all."

He looks at Silver, hesitant. It's the truth, he can ask anybody they will answer approximately the same thing. Anybody but Silver. He sighs and then smiles.

"Alright, you're really unlucky, 'Marie'. Anyway, I'm going to find Liam."

He walks away without adding anything. I didn't like this interaction, it was really unsettling. Silver sighs and excuses. He sits against the gymnasium wall.

"It's not your fault, Silver. If it was, I wouldn't talk to you."

He laughs softly with a bit of remorse, I can feel it. I sat next to him.

"That's rich coming from you, Demonia, did I do something when we met? You wouldn't talk to me back then."

I laugh. It's true, I didn't want to talk to him or anyone. I'm happy they forced our interaction somehow. I smile and look at him.

"Of course you did, I was swimming peacefully and you 'saved' me! I was so mad."

"Be mad at Max, when I took the photo he was like 'Oh my god, he's probably drowning! Save him'. Yeah, he thought it was a boy in the photo."

I can't- I laugh at this bad imitation of Max and also because I can't believe the only person I knew back then thought I was a boy. Silver smiles softly before he looks up to the sky. I take out my earphones and give him one. He puts it in his ear and I turn on the music. 'Un jour je marierai un ange'. This is nice and peaceful. I let my head fall on his shoulder as we started to talk about pretty much anything that came to our mind. His little sister has a performance at her school for the celebration of the end of the year. Jess and Laurence are starting to get into their study program in advance for their finals. And the work in Cole's shop has started. On my side, I've started a movie/board game program with James. The goal is to learn to play some board games so I can play with Lindsey, Sadie, Caled, and him next time...and the movies are because I had to add something I really liked.

"For example, tonight, we're supposed to watch Percy Jackson..."

"Have you read the books? Max will kill you if you haven't."

I sigh...I might talk and understand English but writing and reading is another question...

"You know I still have a private class with Miss Denis?"

"Yeah, is she still calling you dear?"He laughs.

"Of course, I'm a good student unlike you," I respond laughing. "But, recently I've finished reading my first book in English. About 200 pages of learning how some words are supposed to be written."

"Interesting story at least?"

I nod, yes, Miss Denis let me choose. She was very happy that I took 'Harry potter' apparently it's popular. He smiles and asks what it was about. So until the next period, I told him about the book I read.