Chapter 8: "Marie"

-People I don't like-

01:43 ━━━━●───── 03:50

"Silver Henderson?" Ask the teacher.

Only silent responses to her. I'm surprised, Silver isn't here. And so is Rebecca. Did I miss something? It's not a math class so there is no reason for them to skip class. The teacher looks at me and notices my classmate is also missing. She seems to suddenly remember something and write on her paper.

"Right," says Miss Denis, "he's with Miss Petterson."

What? Did I forget something? I don't think James nor Liam told me anything. I try to remember but they didn't inform me of an event- Oh pourquoi je dois être aussi stupide? Why do I have to have the same memory as James? They have a swimming competition today. I remember, now. So that is why their training was different from mine this week. That explains a lot of things. This also means this is the first time since I arrived, I'm gonna be alone all by myself. That's great, I guess.

" 'Marie' Miller?"

I raise my hand.

- Here.

- All Right, thank you.

Here goes my only participation for this English class. The teacher looks pissed, is it because her favourite student- Dear Rebecca- isn't here? She's looking at me with a little too much insistence. I don't like that look.

"Miss Miller, come see me after class."

I nod. What did I do? I'm not sure. It's probably due to this class presentation that got me to the hospital. Oh, maybe, it's the last test I probably failed. What? I speak English, but I don't write English.

The class is slow and boring. I messaged James on Discord to tell him "Good luck" because the other marie told me too. He thanked me before scolding me for not listening to Miss Denis's class. Then Liam sent me a message -on Discord too- but I didn't open it. I saw the notification. It's a picture of them near a pool. He asked me how I was doing and I was not sure how I should respond. Because, yeah I feel alright but I'd prefer to be swimming than listen to Miss Denis.

"You should tell him that."

I look at Rebecca's chair. The other marie is here, sitting on the chair. Her body is turned in the teacher's direction but she's looking at me. Even if we look alike, her face is hidden by a shadow. It's weird and annoying but it's better than being insulted by my face.

"Why?" I whisper. "It's not a real answer."

She looks at the teacher.

"But that's how you feel," she says.

'How I feel'? How to be sure it's my feelings and not hers?

"Because, unlike you, I enjoy Miss Denis's class. It improved my English so much. Unlike you. So yeah, swimming is cool but it's ain't fun if there's nobody with us."

I look at her. Sometimes I tend to forget she has free access to my mind. I open Liam's message as she walks closer to me. We take a closer look at the picture.

"Look at the child's face!" She laughs.

I retain myself from laughing, Silver is with the coach and I'm not sure what they are talking about but his face... Let's be clear, he would give anything to be somewhere else. At the back of the pic, Rebecca is sitting with Max- he's reading a book- and James is with Liam and the other member of the club. From what I see they are playing a card game. What is the name again?

"Uno, you dumb girl. Now write the message!"

So impatient. She slaps the back of my head. She heard me. I write the answer to Liam's message and she fixes my mistake. I press 'sent'.