MY COSTAR GETS REPRIMANDED

The next morning Yao Shen wakes up feeling groggy and poorly rested -- which is a first ever since he got the Sleep Upgrade.

He writes it off as nerves, and doesn't mention anything to Xin Hulei, who is already up and cooking breakfast in the kitchen by the time he gets out of bed.

They share their schedules for the day while Yao Shen does his best not to fall asleep over his bowl of sweet congee.

Back on set, the mood isn't much different from the day before, with everyone running from one place to another trying to film as much as they possibly can.

Yao Shen starts the day shooting with Xin Hulei. One of the most charming scenes of the beginning of Yan Shuyi and Xie Huan's courtship.

Xie Huan has found out the reason behind Yan Shuyi's scars, about the punishment he took in his stead, and is eager to make amends.

He has also began to see Yan Shuyi in a different light, but isn't quite yet at the stage where he can be as bold as he'd like about it.

They're filming in a location nearby which they'll use as a meadow, and compliment with green screens if necessary.

Yao Shen is wearing a lighter, more practical version of Yan Shuyi's robes, since he and Xie Huan are  out looking for a rare plant to make medicine. A rare ailment has afflicted some of the Frozen Peak disciples, and Yan Shuyi and his disciples are some of the rare unaffected ones. They don't know that yet, but that fact will be used against them in the near future.

---

For the first time, Yao Shen sees Jincan and Heimao in their new roles as participating members of human society.

Heimao makes a convincing bodyguard with the black cap flattening his cat ears against his skull, and the all black leather jacket and pants. While they set up for the scene he just leans against a tree, looking menacing and vaguely superior for no good reason.

Jincan on the other hand looks like a fish out of water. He's wearing a beanie that hides most of his messy golden curls and his butterfly wing ears, but his appearance is still too eye-catching.

He has ambiguous features and colouring that make people want to stop and stare at him, in an effort to pinpoint a race or nationality.

All the other crew members keep shooting him covert glances, and whispering among themselves.

Jincan is aware of the attention and tries to blend with the scenery, very unsuccessfully.

Finally, everything is ready and Director Chen yells "action".

Yao Shen starts the scene with his back to the camera, inspecting two flowers in his hands with his head lowered.

Xin Hulei enters from behind as the camera pans up Yao Shen's body, giving the audience the same view as Xie Huan, conveying the same visceral pull Xie Huan is feeling.

"Shizun, I think I found it," Xie Huan says, his voice floundering. He holds out a small pink blossom to Yan Shuyi, who turns around slowly, so the camera can catch his every movement and then slow it down further in the final cut, to make it extra romantic and cheesy.

Yao Shen smiles warmly, trying to infuse his smile with Yan Shuyi's natural kindness, and a little of the first romantic stirrings he's beginning to feel for Xie Huan.

He walks towards him, and takes the flower from him, but not before their hands touch for a prolonged moment, and their eyes widen. They both turn around quickly, hiding their flustered faces.

Yan Shuyi clears his throat. "Yes, I believe this is the flower we're looking for."

"This disciple is glad," Xie Huan says, with his back turned to Yan Shuyi.