MY COSTAR ROLLS AROUND IN BED WITH ME

Tan Liansi teases Xin Hulei about going on a dating show and realizing the dreams of his fans, to which he only answers in a series of disinterested hums.

Yao Shen, however, can't stop thinking about it.

The mere idea is hysterical. The mental imagine of a stone-faced Xin Hulei being taken on the kind of 'dates' the show's contestants dream up in order to woo the 'beauty' is hilarious.

He knows Tan Liansi is trying to provoke him by making him jealous, but she'll have to think up  another strategy.

"I think you should go, if the opportunity comes up" Yao Shen interjects, as Tan Liansi waxes poetic about the merits of Xin Hulei tearfully rejecting the contestants who won't be moving on. "And I think you should be 100% yourself during the whole thing. I think nothing in the history of television would be as entertaining."

Tan Liansi is obviously taken aback by his suggestion, but Xin Hulei meets Yao Shen's eyes above her head with an indulgent half-smile. "I'll go if you go."

"Ugh, let's keep watching the show," Tan Liansi says, increasing the volume on the remote. "I've only signed up for one kind of dog food, and you two are interrupting it."

Feeling as if he's won some kind of battle, Yao Shen magnanimously lets it go, petting Heimao in silence while smirking to himself.

---

Eventually, the show comes to an end. The internet celebrity, whose name Yao Shen can't for the life of him remember, ends up picking a nerdy guy, the ugliest of the bunch, but a programmer. Obviously her considerations went beyond appearances, which Yao Shen can't decide if it's better or worse.

One would think that after she has consumed three packs of corn snacks, and after the show she came specifically to watch is over, that Tan Liansi would leave.

Instead, she lets out a huge yawn, stretches her arms above her head and asks, "Do you guys want to play 'Fight the Landlord'?"

Today alone, Tan Liansi has managed to show at least five different sides of her personality: she's a refined, talented actress, who enjoys trashy reality tv, chewing junk food with her mouth open, and playing card games favoured by middle-aged uncles all over the country.

Truly, a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

In a way, it's no surprise she and Xin Hulei get along well.

They're both equally puzzling, only in completely opposite ends of the same spectrum.

Which is why Yao Shen makes an executive decision.

"Actually, I should probably go," he yawns himself, mimicking Tan Liansi's earlier actions. "Can you take me back to my hotel room?"

"Oh," Xin Hulei says, a subtle note of disappointment tinging his words. "Sure."

Tan Liansi's eyes shine victoriously, even as she pouts and waves Yao Shen goodbye. "Bye Bye, see you tomorrow."

Yao Shen returns the gesture over Xin Hulei's shoulder, hiding his smirk into Xin Hulei's shirt.

---

Everything is the same as Yao Shen left it once he returns to his hotel room.

"Goodnight," Xin Hulei says, stepping away as soon as the flames disappear, ready to return to his apartment.

Yao Shen pulls him by the hand towards his bedroom. "Where do you think you're going?"

Xin Hulei opens his mouth, but then realizes what Yao Shen's plan was all along. "Tan Liansi is waiting for me."

Yao Shen shrugs. "So? She's a big girl, she can keep herself entertained, and if she's bored she can always leave."