Chapter Two

Nikki's POV

I woke up startled. I reached over to my end table and checked the time. '3:07 a.m. fuck me'

I had woken up from another nightmare. This was the 5th one this week, and it's only Wednesday. I went to my text messages and opened Katie's contact.

'Hey baby. I hope you slept well. I miss you sm <3'

I closed out of the app and went to my photos. I pulled up a picture of Katie and I and sighed. We started dating sophomore year. We had the most amazing time and would constantly be with each other. Earlier this summer she had gotten news from her parents that she was moving across the country. We cried together for hours. We decided that we were going to do long distance and go to the same college so we could be together again. I can't see her as it is, but I didn't mind waiting.

I got up and went downstairs to get some water. My dad was passed out on the couch again with the tv still on. "Oh dad, what am I going to do with you." I whispered to myself and went back upstairs.

It's been me, him, and my little sister for the past year. My mom died in a car accident on her way back from out of state. It took a while for things to go back to normal. My dad hasn't been the same since though. There are nights, like tonight, where he drinks himself to sleep on the couch. My sister and I try to help around as much as we can.

My sister is 13. She's in her last year of junior high. She's basically a mini me but shorter and more girly. Moms death was especially hard on her. She was the closest to mom.

I laid back down on my bed and turned on the tv. I didn't know what exactly to put on so I just put on a random show that I knew I would fall asleep to. A little while later I was out.

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing.

"Hello?" I said groggily.

"Nikki! Are you decent?" Anne's voice rang from the other end.

"I mean i just woke up s-"

Before I could finish Anne came barging in. I put the covers over myself and acted horrified. "Girl I'm naked." Anne put on a smirk. "Oh really? Lemme see your hot bod." She said pulling the covers.

I grabbed one of my pillows and through it at her face.

I got up and tackled her to the floor, straddling her. "What are you doing in my room this early in the morning." She smiled up at me. "Come on I was just checking in on my bestie. You're my ride." I rolled my eyes and got up. She sat on my bed as I took off my tank top and booty shorts. "Don't peek." I said. "No promises."

I threw my shirt at her. "You perv." I said rolling my eyes. I grabbed a hoodie and some jeans from my closet and threw them on.

Anne and I went down stairs shortly after. Grabbing some snacks from the fridge and my keys. "I'll see you later Jenna!" I yelled to my sister. "Bye Nic!" I heard her reply before I shut the door. Anne and I hopped into the car and drove to school.

"So tell me again why you need to be at the school an hour before it starts." I looked at Anne in the passengers seat. She shrugged "I agreed to meet with someone before schools starts. If you know what I mean." She winked at that and I just gave her a laugh in return.

We got to the school fairly quick. It wasn't too far from my house after all. Anne kissed my cheek and left. Something she's done since we were kids. It drove Katie crazy at first but after much reassuring she got over it. Speaking of. I checked my phone to see I had a message from her.

'I miss you too baby. I hope you have a good day! I love you.'

I replied to her.

'I love you too. Want to ft later?'