ℙ𝕒𝕣𝕥 𝟚𝟙

♛    ♛    ♛

♛    ♛    ♛

"Atta girl! Gimme five!"

I jumped as high as I could to meet my father's palm with my own.

"Ready to go again?" I heard him ask, but he was suddenly nowhere in sight before I could even respond.

I stood alone in the softball field, hugging my pitcher glove to my chest worriedly. "D-daddy?"

Laughter from behind my back startled me, and I turned around to see those bullies from my school.

I tried to make a run for it, but tripped onto the auburn dirt. "Daddy!" I cried, as he appeared from nowhere at the gates, closing them so I couldn't escape as he casually walked away.

"Daddy!!" I called out again, and my ankles were grabbed. My entire body was slowly being dragged. There was no one to save me, so why did I keep screaming for that man? He left, and I was about to meet my end.

"Crybaby!" the students started to chant as I covered my ears, shaking my head.

"Daddy!"

I jolted up out of my dream, screaming and sweating as if I had battled a monster.

Vincent rushed to my side. "I'm here baby, it's alright."

He had been up all night, seeing me toss and turn. I was so hard to wake from my nightmares. It almost worried him. I felt bad he had to witness this.

"Daddy..." I shook and cried.

Vincent pulled me onto his lap and kept his arms stiffened around me as he rocked my trembling body. "Repeat after me."

I sobbed, "N-no..."

His heart ached for me. He already believed he was responsible for my safety and emotions so deeply that anything I went through, he felt too. It was almost the same way for me.

I sometimes wondered how I got so lucky?

"Baby..." he whispered and wiped my tears with the back of his hand, "what was your dream about?"

He sighed when I didn't answer and stood with me in his arms, keeping the blanket fastened around my shaking torso.

He was going to save me.
Somehow.

• • •

Vincent kicked the door open to his room and hurried over to his bed. No one's been in it before. Just him, and now...me.

me