Chapter 15

Both of the girls spent all of Tuesday morning in meetings.

"Hey babe what's up" Lainey answered her phone from her desk at work.

"Thinking about taking a lunch break. Have you taken yours?" Peyton asked as she twiddled the pencils on her desk.

"I don't think I'm going to take one since I'm leaving early today."

"Why are you leaving early?"

"Uhh..."

"What?... Did you tell me and I forget? I'm sorry, my memory is terrible."

"We are supposed to pick up my siblings from school and go for ice cream, remember. Megan wanted you to pay for everyone to make up for last time remember?"

"Shit! I knew I was forgetting something. What time are you leaving?"

"Depends, are you still going?"

"Yeah, I'll just work through lunch today and either come back after we're finished or come in early tomorrow."

"Are we going together or meeting there?"

"We can meet there. I have a meeting in South Town this afternoon, but I should be done by 4:00. Do you think we can hit a place over there?"

"Yeah, there's a place that sells rolled ice cream on the corner of Center and 24th. Plus if we go all the way over there we should pull up about the time you do, so that'll work perfectly."

"Thank goodness! I'm so sorry I forgot." Peyton sighed.

Lainey laughed. "I would worry more about Megan finding out you forgot."

"I'LL BE THERE!"

Later that day Lainey was waiting in the pick-up line, at the school, for her siblings when she got a call from Eli.

"Heeeyyyyyy biiiittttch! You at work?"

"No I'm waiting to pick up my siblings so that we can go for ice cream."

"And you didn't offer to get me some? Fake!"

"First off I'm not even paying, and second off even if I was you make your own damn money so you can buy your own damn ice cream."

"Who's paying?"

"We are meeting Peyton there, and this is her apology to Megan for ruining it last time we went."

"Gross, I still don't trust her."

"Eli" Lainey warned.

"I'm just saying there's something fishy going on and I'm not talking about her vagina."

"Fuck you Eli! She's not that bad, plus I've forgiven her for everything so can't you at least try and be a little nicer. I mean it was her and I that had problems, not you two. I get that you want to have my back but give the girl a break, it's not like we were saints to her in high school either. She's just as much a hostage in this engagement as I am."

"Jeez, I didn't know you loved her already. My bad." Eli scoffed.

"I didn't say I love her. I'm just saying there's two sides to every story, and there's no reason to make this any harder than it already is."

"I'm not-"

"I don't want to hear it. Megan and Colten just walked out." Lainey said before hanging up before he could say anything else.

"Hey sis! Who were you yelling at? We could hear you from outside the car." Megan laughed as her and Colten climbed in the backseat of Lainey's car.

"Eli, he was being stupid."