Chapter 26

TW: The next few chapters the kingdom will be at war. So there will be mentions of blood and death (not to gory or anything, but I understand certain words can be a trigger for some people and I want everyone to feel safe here). SO if you can't read something like this, please send me a message and I will summarize what happens. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"GO!" Yelled Alex to Jack. "Get to the training ground. Arm yourself!"

Jack knotted and went to turn

"Wait!" Yelled the queen stopping Jack and Alex. The queen flicked her wrist and both Jack and Alex had their armor on and the swords.

Alex wanted to smile or make a joke, but her mind switched into fighting mode.

"We need to get to the training fields and see what the damage is and gather as many men as we can." Alex told Jack.

"Your majesty" Alex spun to look at Isabela "I need to get you to safety. Magic yourself somewhere. Anywhere but here."

The queen was taken back by the authority in Alex's voice.

"I'm not..." The queen began again when another loud boom was heard.

"Please" Alex begged as she turned to start running after Jack "Use you magic and get out of here"

"I can help!" The queen said "Tell me what do you need?"

Alex looked back at her knowing how stubborn the queen can be.

"Fine" Alex gave in "Go to the staff's kitchen, help anyone in there. But, if you feel your magic getting low. Get out of here. Don't wait, go. I have to go with Jack. We need to organize."

"Okay". The queen said and quickly grabbed Alex for one last kiss and used her magic to go the kitchen and staff quarters.

Alex ran with everything she had. Her mind jumped to Thomas, but she knew he was safe. He was away from the bombs when they went off. He will be okay, she kept reminding herself.

"JACK!" Alex screamed as she neared the soldier's quarters. The training fields were on fire and smoke filled the air. It was hard to see or breathe.

"Alex!" Jack coughed as he walked out of the quarters. Alex ran up to him. She could tell he was crying, but was it from the smoke?

"Their dead." He said in disbelief. "At least 20 soldiers in there with their throats cut. No one fought back."

The dots slowly connecting "They must have been giving something to make them sleep. That's why they were all sleeping early."

Alex started to panic. Whoever did this was steps ahead.

"I only saw about 20. I hope the rest woke up on time." Jack said coughing again.

"How many went to get a drink earlier today?" Alex said trying to connect more dots.

"I don't know. Maybe 30 or so." Jack said catching on to Alex's thoughts. The 30 has to be in on something, why were they the only ones not giving a sleep drink.

"I saw at least 100 in the quarters before" Alex said looking around and trying to hear anything. But the fire roaring and the smoke made it hard. "Where would they go?"

"The beach?" Jack said "It a staging area away from the castle"

"Maybe... but if there are insiders." Alex was trying to think, but it was so hard. "Okay, let's go to the stables and get a horse. You go to the beach and I'll go back to the castle to find the queen."