Forty Eight

-All I Want-

-alone without you by my side-

-but if you loved me why'd you leave me-

Dumbledore kept switching his focus between the two siblings. Vena counted how many times his eyes flickered between the two.

She counted ten times before his eyes settled on Draco.

"Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices. Please let me help you two."

Her brother's arm started to quiver. He wasn't going to kill Dumbledore. Vena knew it. She's known it for months.

Vena bit her lip for nine seconds. Exactly nine.

There was something oddly comforting by an odd number. It made Vena feel in control. That she didn't hold it any longer simply because she could.

"I don't want your help," he cried. "Don't you understand? I have to do this. I have to kill you. Or he's going to kill Vena."

She could hear the faint footsteps of the Death Eaters. She didn't know who was coming, or what they had done. Or what they were going to do. But Vena knew that they were going to ruin her home.

"They're coming, Draco," Vena whispered to her brother.

The footsteps were getting louder. She could hear them going up the stairs, and Vena's heart was pounding in her chest.

Eight seconds later, her Aunt, Fenir Greyback, and the Carrow siblings had arrived.

For a moment, everything was quiet. Vena took the time to look at the stars. It reminded Vena of her and Draco's obsession when they were little. She took comfort in the stars.

She could see seven of them, twinkling in the sky.

She wished that she could go back to her childhood. She wished she could go back to any other time other than this moment.

"Well," Aunt Bella said, astonished. "Look what we have here."

Aunt Bella walked over to her brother, taking six steps.

The steps were slow and leisure, like she had all the time in the world. Like she wasn't about to witness a murder.

Vena's fingers tapped against her thigh five times.

She held her breath for four seconds as her Aunt stood behind Draco's left shoulder.

"Well done Draco."

Vena on the right, Aunt Bella on the left. It reminded Vena of the Angel and the Devil. It was a Muggle thing.

One side good and one evil. Both sitting on one's shoulder, persuading the person to listen to them.

Vena didn't know what side Draco was going to listen to. Both sides had consequences. There were options, but Draco didn't have a choice.

The adults continued to talk, but Vena couldn't find it in herself to listen. Blood was rushing in her ears, and she could only hear the sound of her beating heart.

She took three deep breaths.

It was excessive, but necessary. Vena didn't know what else to do. It's not like she could go inside her mind. The meadow was still ruined.

"No!" Aunt Bella yelled. Vena spaced out for too long. She wondered how long they've been up here. It's probably been less than thirty minutes, but it feels like it's been hours. "The Dark Lord wants the boy to do it. This is your moment, do it."