Twenty Three

"Tara, abeg nau. Just help me get it from the house."
Janelle whinned over the phone, pouting with her lower lip pulled out like a five year old. As of Tara could see her.

Even of she could sef. That lady was not of this planet. She definitely did not have a heart.

Tara groaned over the phone. "But is it not your house? Why are you finding it hard to go get your iPad yourself?"

She let out a loud breath through her nostrils, sucking her upper lip with her tongue and rolled her eyes. "You're not making this easier for me oo, Tara."

The model from the other line laughed out loud. "Okay, I've heard you. But, nawa for you sha oo. All you just have to is walk in there, call their bluff and simply take what you want to take and leave there."

"I'm not ready to listen to anyone just yet."

"Now, why do I have the feeling that you're finding this whole thing a means to punish them?"

"Ah, please." Janelle said. "I'm not like you."

"Whatever. But you know I'm still revisiting this topic sha. Well, where is the iPad?"

"It's on my desk on my bedroom." Janelle replied, smiling. "Thanks, love. You are the best."

"Hmm. I hear you. As if you weren't just thinking I'm a witch just now."

Janelle's jaw dropped. Before she could find her words, Tara hung up. All she had to do was laugh and shake her head.

She walked out of her bedroom, thinking of what to do about the whole situation around her. And she knew she should talk to her mums. The sound of it make her cringe though. How could she have two mums. The fact that she's confused about two cousins is good enough to last her a life time. But two mums?

She shook her head, walking down the stairs. Her stomach made a loud annoying noise, simply yelling at her to remind her of her silly nonchalant attitude about her intestines. She had been too busy putting down her imaginations into drawing and completely ingnored the need to take lunch.

Denzel,who was now away at the moment, had tried to force her to the dinning. But she refused. Now all her past sins are coming back to haunt her poor intestines.

Janelle made her way to the kitchen, rubbing her stomach and looking around for anything. The maids were all in their quarters, and she simply, settled for cereal, since she wasn't in the mood to eat anyway.

But a slight shadow passed behind her, just as she was about shutting the fridge. Janelle froze at the spot. She wasn't supposed to feel paranoid about being attacked in Denzel's house. The stalker couldn't possibly know she's in Denzel's place, could he?

The possibility was very slight. Janelle pushed back the thought, made herself a bowl of cereal and fed her poor intestines.

She closed her eyes to savor the taste of the cereal in her mouth. When her eyes were finally open, she saw the shadow run passed the pool side. She k ew this time, it could be odd for anyone who lived in the mansion to run past like that. Even the servants wouldn't run like that.

Warning bells rang in her head and she sprang up, such that the chair made a retreating sound. Janelle walked slowly to the pool side.

It wasn't possible that Denzel would walking into the mansion like that. And she would hear the sound of his car if he was home, she thought,walking over to the pool. She paused, hands on hips, looking around.

"Dee?"
She called.

Okay, Denzel could play pranks. He had done that to her once, when he knew that she was completely scared of thunder bolt. The wheather had changed, indicating the sign of a down pour and she walked out to find Denzel. Only for him to sneak out on her at the exact time the lightening came out.

The thought still gave her good bumps. She looked around, hugging her shoulders. It should be chilly at this time of the year, she told herself.

"Dee, this isn't funny. And we are not children anymore!"
She called, looking around her.

Okay, this is getting creapy, she thought. Denzel would have laughed his way out of hiding by now.

Someone was standing behind her. She knew when she wasn't alone. She had that gift to sense another presence even in the dark. There's always away her body reacted and that was happening now.

Scratch that. . . It happened as soon as she saw that shadow.

"Dee, this is becoming very creepy."
She said, not looking behind her.

Janelle dared to look back. She stood still, squared her shoulders, took a deep breath and turned around. Her eyes grew wide as saucers as soon as she saw the black figure standing in front of her.

Janelle screamed but not loud enough for the stranger to run. He swing his hand and she felt a strong impact on her left temple.

She should have been on her feet, fighting to reveal the face of the intruder. But she wasn't. She couldn't stand on her feet, her body betrayed her. Her feet wobbled and all she felt was herself penetrating into something.

There was no much time to think of what it was. It was obvious. Nothing could make her feel like she was losing oxygen. None other than the cold pool. Especially when she could not swim.