Twenty - Two

"She's with me." Denzel said over the phone. Then nodded. "Yeah, she was asleep when I left her room."
He paused and glanced towards the stairs leading to the room Janelle slept, digging his hands into his pocket.
"I will let her know you called. Maybe she's still asleep. No problem, ma. Okay, bye."
He hung up, sighed and went straight to the bar for a drink.

It was almost dinner and he had ordered the maids to make for two but Janelle wasn't out yet. He contemplated going up to check on her, since she fell asleep very upset. But as soon as he heard the sound of her footsteps down the tiled stairs, he decided against it, sitting back on the stool. But it was one of the maids.

°°°

Janelle sighed and shook her head. "You don't understand. Why is everyone telling me that?"
She said over the phone. She walked over to the mirror to check herself out. She shook her head disapprovingly at the image she saw holding a phone and staring back at her. Her hair, sticking out in several places and her mascara forming dark tears on her face. She looked like a ghost from a horror movie.

"Why? Did Denzel tell you that too?"
Candace asked over the phone. "See, I'm right. If Denzel should tell you that, then you should do it. Listen, Janelle, I know you're hurt. But at least, try to talk to Nana."

Janelle sighed and groaned, walking back to the bed with a mental note to take her bath when she's done with Candace.
"Candy, you don't understand."

"I understand, Janelle. Remember, I told you my mum left me? I know how you feel. But you have to talk to each of them. No matter what, everyone has a side of their own story."

Janelle rolled her eyes. "I'm not ready to hear anyone's side. I mean, how could they keep something so . . . significant for years? Away from me. How does Caroline look at herself in the mirror every morning?"

Candace chuckled. "So, she's Caroline now? You have to hold your horses, Janelle. Getting angry like this won't help."

"Honestly, all I'm worried about right now, is getting something to wear. I ran off even without my things and I don't plan on going back there anytime soon."

"Okay, maybe you should call Tara. She's in town and you know your mum doesn't like my face. Tara can put her in her place. I can't."

"Yes, you're right."

Few minutes after she hung up, there was a brief rap on the door as soon as she gave the permission the door open. Denzel leaned against the wall, legs cross and arms folded staring at her.

"You need a bath." He said, grinning at her.

She rolled her eyes. "So, in other words, I stink?" She asked raising her eyebrows.

He snickered and walked over to sit beside her. "You know that's not what I meant. You look like a broken hearted bride, with all your hair sticking out in all directions. . . What's this one looking for, its standing upright?"
He asked, pulling up a strand that was surprisingly standing upright. Janelle slapped his hand off, eyeing him.

He laughed.

"Seriously. I look like a broken hearted bride, abi?"

Denzel laughed and shook his head. He stood up to a drawer, pulled a brush and walked up to her, trying to dig the teeth into her hair. Janelle pulled back, staring at him.
"Haba, I'm still going to bath nau."

"I know. But in the main time, while you're still seated, let me brush it first. So, I'll know that I'm talking to Janelle, not. . ."
He was cut off by her hand connecting with his stomach in a playful blow. He held his stomach, laughing.