Danger Ahead

I arrived on time thankfully.

I started sifting through the supplies I needed for the night and shortly after I prepared all the newly canvased easels my students were walking in. I saw West shortly after. He was holding open the door for a few of the other students. I smiled and waved at him. He approached me, looking a little listless. I didn't want to pry, but it seemed serious...

About thirty minutes into the class I walked around, as usual, observing everyone's progress. I usually had one class reserved for their 'artistic expression,' and when I reached West's canvas, there were a lot of darker themes. A black rose, with destructive imagery around it. It was beautiful, but darker nevertheless. I sat beside him.

"Art... often reflects the artist's heart..." he turned to look at me and I attempted to smile. He returned the smile looking a little happier.

"To be honest... my mom is sick right now..." my expression fell a little. It sounded really painful to go through... I should know it best...

"I'm sorry to hear West, and I'm sorry for--"

"No, it's alright. I'm actually glad you asked. Sometimes I just feel a bit alone... so when I heard the news, I was a little taken aback. I didn't have many people to share it with," I touched the top of his arm briefly.

"We can go for coffee anytime... just say the word, alright?" he smiled back at me. I'm glad I asked him. I patted his arm, and then slowly got up. I whispered to him that I hoped for her speedy recovery and he nodded.

I did more rounds around the students, complimenting their work and offering constructive feedback where needed. After class I waved goodbye to West, who was the last person to leave. When I closed up shop I began walking back on my usual route, but before I knew it I heard a car horn honk.

When I turned around, I saw a familiar car. It was James. I couldn't believe it... 

He pulled over to the side and lowered the window. I looked over at him and he turned to look up at me.

"Where did you come from?"

"The library... I have to pass by this area..." I stared at him a little suspiciously. He cleared his throat. 

"Well, get in..."

"Don't want to," he looked at me shocked, and I turned around, walking away. Moments later I heard him get out of the car. I couldn't believe he was following me... he caught up to me quickly and I stopped, turning around.

"What is it?" he looked like he was trying to find the right words to respond to me. 

"Let me make this simple for you, alright? Do you feel guilty for the way you've treated me? Or do you want to prove your point by personally investigating me by hoping to find out all of my dark secrets? Are you trying to get close to me in order to expose me?"

"What kind of story are you writing, Miss. Rose?"

"It's not far-fetched... considering all that has transpired between us all," he paused, thinking through things, and then finally replied.

"Maybe you're right. I do feel a little guilty for acting rashly. It was immature of me. I know my grandfather wouldn't have asked you to stay at our house without a reason, deep down... I'm a little more level headed than Kai at least," I rolled my eyes... albeit that was true. I had to prove myself in front of Kai in more tangible ways whereas for James, he seemed to have seen my 'character,' for what could be considered 'good timing.'

I could tell they were both wary of me but the way to their conscience was different. 

"And yet, maybe I'm also hoping to find out something about you..." he stepped in a little closer to me and I stayed in place. "That's why I want to stick around you a little more."