3 Weeks

3 weeks had passed and my hand was already healed. 

I was taking on some of Rae's classes because she caught the flu.

It felt busier than usual because of the growing resurgence of Bob Ross art. Everyone wanted a magical or unique experience with the canvas. And I was happy to provide them with this service.

But at times it made me feel a bit out of my element. I preferred to be on my own for hours on end, thinking of new projects and images I wanted to release into the blank spaces in front of me. I knew I had to make a living, and this was my start. 

After my final class in the afternoon, I was cleaning up the classroom. Paint, as usual, was splattered over my apron. Some of it landed on my hands and body. It felt like I became a bit like a canvas at work sometimes. When I heard the door open, I turned around and saw a somewhat familiar face.

"If you'd like to book an appointment our manager just stepped out a few minutes ago-"

"Miss. Rose, do you remember me?" I stared at him again, thinking about several ways I could use a paintbrush to kill a man. I took a paintbrush instinctively and clutched it into the palm of my hands.

"Who are you?"

"We met a few weeks ago," I looked at him more carefully, and before I spoke, he pointed down at my wrist. "It seems you have still kept Mr. Ravenwolf's gift," I looked down at my bracelet and then looked up at him again. I gasped. He was the one to accompany the old man I saved. I pointed a paintbrush at him.

"What are you doing here? I mean, how do you know where I work?"

"I investigated your circumstances" I felt my stomach turn upside down.

"Are you a stalker?"

"No, it was requested by my Boss to find more information about you..." he slowly walked towards me. For a middle-aged man, as I guessed, he looked quite debonair. I stepped back into the table, and I could feel the jar of water shake. He lifted his hands up defensively.

"There was a reason for this. You will come to understand in the next hour," I looked up at him more seriously. I wondered what he wanted.

"That is if I haven't called the cops on--" he smiled and stopped walking towards me. He then reached to grab something from the inside of his jacket. It was a business card. He threw it towards the table, and it landed perfectly next to me. He gestured for me to take a look. I slowly picked it up. It was a card for some business called Ravenwolf. Maybe for cars? His name was Nathan.

"I should have introduced myself. I have been rude to you, Miss. I am Nathan. Personal secretary to Henry Ravenwolf, the gentleman you met and saved a few weeks ago."

"Secretary?" I looked over the business card again. It didn't seem like a fabrication.

"Does Miss. Rose have access to black clothing?" I looked at him wildly.

"Excuse me?"

"There are some matters that must be taken care of"

"What are you talking about? And still, you haven't answered my question. Why are you here?"

"I will ask that you accompany me to the Ravenwolf residence"

"For what reason? And why black clothing? Am I attending a funeral?"

"Yes."

I stared up at him blankly. Everything was moving way too quickly. I turned away from him. I wanted to walk away much more intensely than I did a minute ago.

"Mr. Ravenwolf has passed away," I stopped in my tracks. I looked down at the bracelet on my wrist. I then turned around, thinking of the old man I helped barely a month ago. He was dead?

"Pardon... how?"

"He was incredibly ill... he requested that I learn about you just in case anything happened to him. If you would like to see his death certificate--" he started to pull out his cell phone and I raised my hand in protest.

"Please! I believe you... it just... it's sad to hear. But what does it have to do with me?" he looked at me directly. We stared at one another momentarily. It was as though I could finally sense his intentions. Despite how ridiculous this all sounded. A man had died. And he wanted me to attend his funeral. Did he not have a family? I felt a sinking feeling in my stomach. I brought up my paintbrush again and said, "No funny business. And don't think I can't protect myself..." Nathan nodded seriously.

"I will await your return. When you are ready to go, the car will be waiting for you outside"

I stared at him, and then suddenly my manager returned. I greeted him, and then took off my apron. I walked past Nathan, and then once I got outside, I bolted forward. I couldn't feel my body. My head felt heavy. 

I could only think of that old man's smile... his innocent disposition. 

There wasn't anything else left in my heart to feel since I hardly knew him. But there was something telling me that I needed to go. Even just one meeting meant something. I mustered up my courage to get back to my apartment, change, and then return back to that assistant. It was the least I could do.