< 28 >

Unlike last time, it doesn't take long for a Bishop to show up - Andre.

At the very least, we probably have Reisdro and Lisben busy. And Tyler's got Nico, distracting him.

The barricades have been mostly worn down by persistent Watchers, so Andre slips in easily. The fighting seems to move around him as he enters the war zone. Some Banditos rush over to start fighting him, but he pushes through them.

He's heading straight for me.

Debby, Clancy, and Josh pick up on this and getting into a fighting stance. Clancy's holding a torch, and it looks like he's going to try to set Andre on fire. He keeps coming closer.

He says nothing - not a word. He just lunges for me. I jump back instinctively as the others come to my defense.

But there's no need.

The Watchers start going absolutely crazy. They go in conflicting directions, almost spasming as they move. They're confused. Another Bishop is down here.

"Andre." As soon as I hear the voice, I know who it is.

Keons.

Andre stops and turns, along with the other Banditos. The Watchers continue to go haywire, twitching and spawning in place. Andre says, "Keons. What are you doing?"

"Something that I should've done long ago," he replies. Even so, he does nothing. Just looks at Andre.

"Which is?" the other Bishop asks.

Keons steps closer. "I want you to leave this girl alone."

"Nico said-"

"I know what he said. Leave her alone. In fact, why don't you just leave? It would be a lot easier on the both of us."

"He'll kill us both, you lunatic," Andre replies. He sounds scared.

"Then so be it," Keons says. "I won't be his puppet any longer."

"That is a small price to pay to live - especially as we do, compared to the citizens he rules over."

"Look around you - look at these Banditos. They traded reliable sources of food, shelter, water - everything - for freedom. They went out into the great, dangerous unknown so that they could be free. I think we could learn something from them."

Andre shakes his head. "They will die just as we do - at Nico's hand."

"Then so be it."

Andre pauses, then walks towards Keons. "You're a braver man than I, Keons. And it's a shame you have to die."

"Yes," Keons replies calmly, "it is. Because, of course, what Nico says goes." He looks at me. "Run. Find him."

Immediately, Andre attacks Keons, and Keons fights back. The Watchers somehow come back to themselves and begin to fight again, forcing the Banditos to fight back.

I run for the stairs and make my way up the tower, looking for Tyler and Nico.

••••
•I CRUMBLE UNDERNEATH THE WEIGHT•