< 25 >

We walked for two days to Dema - a trip we'd made a thousand times collectively - all prepared to fight with everything we had.

And that's how we made it here: standing in front of Dema as one, ready to storm it yet again.

"You're going in first," I say, looking at Tyler. Around me, Banditos are preparing to light torches and emptying their packs of anything they don't need. Dina's dividing them into groups, telling them who's going where and who's doing what.

Tyler looks back at me. He looks scared, but determined. "I know."

"I could go with you-"

"I have to face him alone," he replies, cutting me off. "And, anyway, I wouldn't want you there if... if I have to kill myself..."

A lump forms in my throat. "But you're not going to... right?"

"Not unless I have to."

I don't know what to say. Ever since that meeting in the leader's tent, I've been avoiding thinking about it - losing him. I haven't known him very long, and yet I can't imagine life without him.

"You ready?" Amanda asks. I didn't even notice her walk over to us. Tyler nods. I walk with him to the tunnel entrance.

We're quiet for a few moments. He pulls his bandana down, then steps towards me and pulls down mine. Slowly - almost too slowly - he's lean in and kisses me. I wrap my arms around him and kiss him back.

It's over all too soon.

"I love you." It's the only thing I can think to say. Tears are threatening to fall.

"I love you, too." He pulls his bandana back up and starts to walk inside, but stops and turns back around. "Y/N, promise me... if I lose to him, you won't cry for me, and... and you'll move on."

"Tyler-"

"Please."

The tears start falling, but I wipe them away. "I promise."

As he disappears into the tunnel, I wonder if those were the last words he'll ever say to me.

<><><>

This place is familiar, but it feels like I know it from another life. I haven't been here since after Nico took me back the first time - at least, it feels that way. I was here around five days ago, but I didn't get a good look at my surroundings. There was too much going on.

Now, it's quiet. Calm. Dark.

There are still dents and even holes in the walls from the fight, but everything else has been cleaned up. Nico's put things back in order.

I take a deep breath as I silently make my way to the stairs. My bandana sways forward when I breathe out.

The others should be coming into the city now. They're going to set up barricades, start infiltrating other districts. And when the citizens wake up from the noise, they'll get them outside and start lighting torches.

I take another deep breath, passing the room where Nico has held me twice before; he wouldn't be there. Not when he doesn't have me.

I don't know how long it'll take to find him, but I hope I find him before the city wakes up.

<><><>

"You okay?" I turn, finding Debby standing behind me.

I sigh. "As okay as I can be. I have to be strong, though; I've got a group to lead."

She nods, then smiles. "I knew Graham would choose you to be leader; you deserve it more than anybody."

I smile back, then hug her. "Thank you."

I spot Josh over her shoulder. In spite of the situation - or perhaps because of it - he makes a joke. "Are you trying to steal my girl?"

"Maybe," I joke back.

We pull back from the hug and I take a deep breath.

It's time to go.

<><><>

I'm heading all the way to the top of the tower. If he's anywhere, he's there.

I put my hand in my pocket, making sure what I brought is there.

It is.

<><><>

"I'm taking a group into Reisdro," Dina tells me. I nod and she heads off. Caroline's in that group.

Debby, Clancy, and Josh are sticking with me, along with a majority of the others - and Amanda.

Max is taking separate a group into Lisben's.

I look at Amanda and she nods.

We start walking into Dema.

••••
•FOR NOW I SEE THAT IF AND WHEN ARE TRULY DIFFERENT CRIES•