< 29 >

His smile falters.

"What?" I ask. "What happened?"

"She died," he replies, trying to look smug. It isn't working very well.

"No, she didn't." Something about his expression and his tone... something I can feel from him. Anger. Disappointment. Pure rage. He wouldn't be angry about Y/N's death.

"She's dead!"

"If she's dead, then you have no leverage."

"Josh? Clancy? Debby? Surely those names mean something to you?"

"Now you're just grasping at straws; you'd never be able to kill them all at once. You can't even kill Y/N."

"I'll go down there and kill her myself! Just like I killed Graham!"

Everything happens in slow motion.

He lunges toward me in his anger - in his desperation for control. He goes for the knife. I go against my instincts and stay in place, only moving my hand.

I turn the knife around and thrust it towards him in one motion.

It plunges into his abdomen. Pain explodes through my own, but I keep myself upright and pull it out, then thrust it into his chest. I feel the blow in mine and fall to the ground.

But so does he.

I curl in on myself, the pain unbearable.

Everything hurts. I don't know what I hit, but everything hurts.

I don't want to die.

I just want the pain to go away. I want it to stop. I can't stand it.

I want it to stop, I want it stop, I want it to stop.

I need help.

"Sahlo Folina! Sahlo Folina!"

<><><>

Tyler and Nico aren't in the room from before, so I keep going up. I'm running as fast as I possibly can.

I can still hear the fighting from downstairs. I don't know if Keons is dead or alive - I can only hear Banditos and Watchers - but I hope that he is.

He may have let me down, but he's truly on my side this time. And, once this is all over, he can help convince the other Bishops of our plan. The new Dema.

My train of thought crashes as a distinctive shout rings through the air.

"Sahlo Folina! Sahlo Folina!"

Tyler.

I start running faster.

<><><>

Nico is shouting on the floor next to me, but then a different shout breaks through his voice.

"Tyler?!"

It sounds far away. I think it's Y/N. Either that or I'm hallucinating her. I don't care.

"Make it stop," I plead. "Make it stop."

"Make what stop?" She sounds scared.

"It hurts."

I feel her hand on my shoulder. In my hair. "Tyler."

"I don't wanna die." I'm crying; I don't know when I started, but I am.

"I know." I think she's crying, too.

"Make it stop. Please. Y/N..."

Then everything goes black.

••••
•WHERE WE USED TO BLEED AND WHERE OUR BLOOD NEEDS TO BE•