< 18 >

We arrived at Dema in the night. Everyone blindly followed Graham and Dina, who had no light to guide them. We wanted to be discreet - at least until we were already in Dema.

Graham led us to a nearby cave - one used before on single extraction missions - and we all put down our bags. Then, he told us the full plan.

"Y/N and Josh, I want you to lead two separate groups into Dema," he said. "Y/N, your group is going into Nico's tower. Josh, your group is staying outside to keep civilians out of danger, fight off the devoted ones, and clear a path for Dina and I to get inside the tower. If Y/N's group needs help, they'll call and you can send some of yours inside. Got it?" We both nodded, and he spoke to the whole group. "We will not kill any civilians - no matter what. Only injure when absolutely necessary. And if you need help, you know what to shout, yes?"

The group nodded.

Graham nodded back. "Good. Now, who's going with Y/N?"

<><><>

"Don't make noise until we're inside," I instructed. "Then, wreak havoc. If you see a Bishop, don't be stupid; don't face him alone. Especially if it's Nico. And remember that you can always call for help." I took a deep breath. "Let's go."

Torches lit, hoods and bandanas up, we marched into Nico's district. We were quiet. My heart was beating in my ears.

I'm coming, Tyler, I thought. I'm coming.

We walked inside the tower. Some civilians began to wake up. I heard a door open, and I stopped. "Now!"

The tower erupted in the shouts of Banditos, some carrying torches, others raising their fists in the air. We lifted up our voices as one, daring the Bishops to come find us.

We were going to fight.

<><><>

"You don't have to fight anymore, Tyler," Nico was saying. The neon flowed before my eyes. It turned. It was alive.

"I'll always fight," I said, though I was quiet. Quieter than before. He was doing everything he could to conform me this time. He wasn't going to fail again.

"Isn't it tiring? Aren't you tired, Tyler?"

"I..." I swallowed. "Yeah."

"All you have to do is-"

"Now!" The shout came from a few floors down from us. It stopped Nico in his tracks. It broke the neon's spell over me.

I recognized that voice.

A split second after she shouted, hundreds of voices joined a chorus of shouts. Some shouted words. Others just yelled.

A grin spread across my face. I laughed. "Looks like someone's here to rid your city of scum. And she's going to kill you."

He ignored me and left the room, barring it closed behind him. I continued to grin.

<><><>

Some civilians ran at us, but we held them off. Everything was going fine.

Then, the Watchers showed up.

They couldn't see us with the yellow, but their lights were blinding, and we were so bunched together it was hard to miss hitting something.

I heard Josh's group shouting outside and looked out a window. A few of his were running inside to draw the devoted civilians out. The not devoted ones ran out to the graveyard where some Banditos were protecting them.