Ch 16 - A Jaunty Monster

Copyright to VedaPettigrew

A groan nudged my unconscious state. I willed myself to ignore it, I really wanted to sink back into oblivion. It worked for a while until another soft grunt dragged me out from the luscious fuzzy state I was in. Eurgh! All I felt in my brain was fog, I was not ready to be awake.

Reluctantly I cracked half an eye for a brief moment. It didn't last long, just enough for me to realise I was in the Greater Sitting Room. Why was I in here? I never came in here, this was where Alpha and Luna spent their evenings.

"I told you not to wake her," came a stern voice.

Dominic.

It all came rushing back. Meeting my mate, seeing him stand up for me, Jeremy's punishment - I shuddered at that. Then what...? Alpha got told off, which I enjoyed a bit too much. Thennnn... oh poopnuts!

I cried all over my male. Probably covering him in snot. How embarrassing. Not a stellar first impression, what came over me? On the plus side, it was pretty great being in his arms. I sighed, remembering his masculine scent surrounding me as he rocked me.

He held me for ages. It was unexpected. Who would have thought the dominant Alpha of all wolves, brutal warrior, and fierce champion could be so patient? But he was. I smiled at the memory of his gentleness as he picked me up and carried me from the stage.

The motion had been so soothing and I felt so safe, I guess I fell asleep. He must have brought me here.

I yawned widely and stretched, my hand bumped into something that was definitely not the sofa. I 'eeped' and a chuckle sounded above me. Nervously, I opened my eyes and turned my head.

Seriously? I hadn't embarrassed myself enough?

A very amused Dominic was watching me warmly. My head was on his lap and apparently, he was my pillow. I tried to sit up but his hand pressed my forehead down again, trapping me to his thigh.

"Stay," he commanded, "You've been asleep a long time, let yourself adjust." He turned his head, "Hammer, go to the kitchen and tell the omegas to bring your Luna some food."

"Coffee?" I croaked.

"And coffee," he added turning back to me. I gave him a watery smile and yawned again. I had slept really well but somehow now felt even more tired, how did that work?

Hang on, I slept. I slept all night.

"No nightmares," I whispered to myself.

"No," he agreed as his strong fingers stroked my hair. I looked up at him in astonishment, I didn't have nightmares, I didn't build a barrier to protect me, I didn't even know or care if the door was locked.

Dominic did that for me. Being with him made me feel safe and I relaxed. I blushed as a vague memory of asking him not to leave me surfaced. I groaned internally, I was never going to run out of embarrassing memories of meeting my mate.

I cast a glance at his clothes, his suit was the one he wore yesterday. He did what I asked, he didn't leave me, he stayed all night.

On the sofa.

In the living room.

Keeping my honour.

Until we had the official mating ceremony, it was separate beds for us. So, like a pair of teenagers, we slept on the couch. He wasn't even lying down.

"Did you manage to sleep at all?" I asked huskily.

He nodded and I smiled happily at him, "Good." His lip twitched with a hint of a smile before he returned his attention elsewhere, though his wonderful fingers continued to idly stroke my hair making me purr internally.