1.30

It was another night in Cortez's bed and Sophie didn't know how she felt about it. She was still, mostly, a virgin and still felt this weird, awkward tension when they crawled into bed beside each other. To sleep with a man, a grown man, felt wrong somewhere deep inside her head. Maybe it was just her guilt from what she was doing with Cortez when her grandfather passed. Either way, she wasn't comfortable.

In the darkness of their bedroom, Cortez reached to pull Sophie into him as they settled into bed. But he was suddenly stopped as she placed her hands on his chest. They both stayed silent, Cortez listening to Sophie's rapidly beating heart. He loosened his arms around her and she took the opportunity to grab his wrists and carefully remove his hands from her body. As much as he wanted to refuse and beg to hold her, he decided against it.

If Sophie wasn't comfortable, he couldn't force her to be.

"I can sleep in my office if you'd like." Cortez whispered.

"No." Sophie quickly refused. "I don't want you to go far, I just... not too close either."

"Okay." Cortez said.

The night dragged on, the world growing quieter and quieter as the hours passed. Sophie could tell Cortez had fallen asleep by the way his heart slightly slowed and his breathing bordered on a snore. She watched him in the darkness for awhile. There was no shred of sleep anywhere within her. She wasn't, in the least, tired. She didn't know why. Since Henry passed a few short days ago, she had hardly slept.

Was she really broken? Sophie felt like someone and rewired her and now everything was out of place. She had lost all normal, human functions. There were no more tears, no more tiredness, she wasn't hungry. Sophie felt a bit lost as she laid in Cortez's bed. What was she to do other than just lay there and stare at the ceiling? It wasn't like it was helping her at all.

Grabbing Cortez's heavy sheets, Sophie tossed them off of her and crawled out of bed. She took light steps across the room so she didn't wake Cortez and slipped out of the bedroom, quietly closing the door behind her. Sophie hugged herself as she skipped down the cold staircase on her tippy toes. She suddenly wished she wasn't wearing pajama shorts and a tank top with cold wood floors and a breeze blowing through the house.

Sophie found her way through the quiet pack house until she reached the ballroom. She pulled open on the door big doors and slipped inside, shuffling towards the grand piano on the stage. She sat on the polished bench in front of the piano and let her fingers graze gently over the keys. There was a song she had in mind but she was reluctant to play. She didn't want to wake anyone.

But as she looked around, she realized just how massive the ballroom was. The sound of the piano should be contained in this space, right? Besides, the pack slept on the other side of the house.

So Sophie began playing.

Claude Debussy - Clair da Lune, to be specific.

Slowly, her fingers hit the keys and she enjoyed every beautiful low and high mixture of sounds that erupted from the piano. Instantly, a smile pulled at her lips. The song was slow and gentle, which was always her favorite part of the song. When she first sat and watched her grandmother play, she started crying halfway through the song. She was maybe eight at the time but the song still carried her through emotions she didn't know she had.

The song picked up and Sophie playfully hit the keys one after the other, her fingers bouncing over the keys of the piano like bouncing fairies. Her body swayed and bounced gently with the music, a smile on her face through the whole song. She was enjoying herself. She enjoyed this. She enjoyed the music. The song somehow allowed her to feel peaceful but also angry. It was a rush. It was beautiful.