1.24

Cortez's head rose from the work laid out on his desk, his heart instantly hammering without hesitation. Immediately, an alarm was going off in his head at the horrible sound that just went echoing violently through the woods.

No. No, no, no. That can't be Sophie. It isn't Sophie. There is no way that's Sophie.

But Cortez couldn't convince himself otherwise as he heard his wolf whine and whimper in pain. Their bond was telling him that it was, in fact, her. She was hurt. And as soon as Cortez came to that conclusion, his mind went blank and his body began to move on it's own.

Cortez ran out of his office and sprinted through the pack house, somehow managing to mind link Jeremiah and tell him to head to Sophie's as fast as possible. Jeremiah also jumped up and called some warriors to come along, since he also heard the explosion and knew how bad the situation might be. In less than milliseconds, Cortez was running through the woods in his wolf form and and his warriors and Beta were catching up behind him.

When they reached the edge of the woods, the edge of their territory, Cortez instantly noticed two things. The most important one being the view of Sophie's house torn in half from the explosion and engulfed in rapidly growing flames. It made his eyes go wide and throat close with fear and worry.

The second thing was what he left for his warriors to deal with. It was the familiar scent of a pair of werewolves. Three warriors split from the group to follow the scent, receiving orders to catch the wolves alive, if possible. Cortez usually asked that of his wolves. He wanted to catch the bad guy and figure out a proper punishment when he had a clear head. For now, he just didn't want them to escape from his grasp.

Sophie violently coughed as she pushed her weak and trembling body off the dirt road. Her ears were ringing, eyes glowing, and she was in so much pain from head to toe. The fact that she even had the power to push herself off the ground was shocking to her. She wondered why she was getting up. She forgot what was happening. How did she end up outside? Why was she in the dirt road?

Looking over her shoulder, Sophie's focused vision caught sight of the bright flames engulfing her house and nothing else. Her heart sank into her stomach with such a hard drop that it took her breath away. Tears streamed down her face without her knowledge and sobs forced their way off her tongue, between her painful coughs and stuttered breathing.

Sophie fought to stand on her own two feet, feeling her legs scream in protect. She ignored the pain, ignored the deafening ringing in her ears, and even the way her body swayed from the sudden dizziness. Sophie pushed herself forward to get to the house from the dirt road. It wasn't until she moved forward that she realized just how far the explosion had thrown her.

"Oh my god, Sophie!" Cortez yelled as he shifted from wolf to human. He rushed to Sophie and cupped her face in his hands.

Cortez was completely speechless at the sight of her. Parts of her arms, face, and legs were covered in black, red, and white patches from where the explosion hit her. Blood spilled from said wounds and poured down her face, her arms, and her legs. Dirt covered one half of her body from being thrown into the dirt road, mixing into her blood and wounds. She looked like she was dressed up to be a prop in a haunted house but a million times worse.

Sophie's gold glowing eyes locked with Cortez's as she sobbed. She wanted to speak but the words wouldn't fall out of her mouth as her lips moved. "Ch-chief..." She breathed. Her eyes strayed towards the house. "Cheif. My g-grand-dad. He's s-still in th-there. I have to.. Cheif. I have to save him."

Sophie tried to step forward but Cortez stiffened his arms to lock her in front of him. He tried to convince her to look at him or sit down or something but she couldn't hear him. Knowing she was being held back, Sophie started to struggle. She could see her house being engulfed in blindling orange and white flames but she wasn't getting any closer and it was beyond frustrating. She had to save her grandfather.