1.15

- Everything about you is becoming faint -
- Now I'll call you a memory -

~

The packs first official announcement of their new Luna was when she was in danger.

The packs first visual introduction to their new Luna was when Cortez carried her out of the Crystal Lake pack house in his arms.

Everyone looked on with curiosity and worry. Sophie was small, they all noted. She looked young. Some had heard about her from those who had briefly met her and they were still surprised when they finally saw her. Their curiosity never dimmed, even as Cortez made his way to his room in the pack house. Everyone followed and crowded the hallway behind him.

They all threw out as many questions as possible.

"Is she really human?"

"One of the warriors said she's in high school, is that true?"

"Is she really only seventeen?"

"How long have you known her?"

"Does she love you?"

"Did she really get bit?"

"Will she even make it? She's so small."

"Are you sure she's our Luna?"

Cortez didn't answer a single question as he carried Sophie to his king bed, hearing Jeremiah close the door behind them. The questions died down to simple murmurs as everyone waited patiently in the halls.

They wanted to see their Luna. They wanted to make sure she was okay. They wanted to meet her. The pack had been without a Luna for so long, this was unfortunate circumstances for them to finally meet her. They were worried.

Cortez knelt beside his bed and cupped Sophie's small hand in his, caressing her arm with his free hand. Weakly, Cortez let his head gently fall to meet her knuckles. He hated that he let this happen to her. Cortez should've gotten there sooner, relentlessly fought to get her away from Gabriel, or even ran at the first sight of Gabriel in the parking lot.

There was so much he regretted.

He wished he could do it all over again.

Because now, there was a chance that she'd be gone forever.

"Don't forgive me this time." Cortez whispered as he lifted his head and pressed a kiss on her knuckles. He stared at his unconscious mate as tears pricked at his eyes. "I've killed you. Such failure this severe is unforgivable."

Jeremiah let his head fall at his Alpha's tragic claims and broken voice. The room was silent besides the murmuring seeping in from the hallway. Jeremiah mind linked his pack and warned them to give the Alpha some peace and quiet. That alone convinced everyone that they would no longer have a Luna.

They knew, her time here was limited. The rumors of her being young, small, and weak were true. If they weren't, it would've been obvious that she would make it through this.

Cortez listened intently to Sophie's heart as she laid lifeless before him. It was worrisomely slow, barely keeping her alive. Her breathing was calm but each breath filled and released torturously slow. Cortez could feel hot tears roll down his cheeks but he didn't bother to wipe them away. He could feel her leaving him. It was the worse feeling that had ever run through his body. He felt just as lifeless, just as weak.

For hours, Cortez sat beside Sophie and quietly pleaded for her life. He muttered prayers to the moon goddess over and over again as he held and caressed Sophie's hand. He hated that this was the longest he had ever touched her. Had they really wasted all that time together?