Chapter 66

"W- What are you doing here?" I stuttered, looking over to where Tanner stood, a smile on his face as he talked to the old lady serving. "I mean, why are you here?"

Darren raised a hand, taking it to the back of his neck and I watched him, not believing that he was back in front of me, trying to talk. It was almost crazy how I'd forgotten about his existence. I felt some kind of surge of anger that he could actually come back and say, 'hey'.

Like, hey?

He left me at a very terrible time in my life. Just when I was thinking he was decent and different, he was only one of those people who came into a person's life to leave, and if not for the kind of person Ryan was, he'd have rubbed it in my face that he'd warned me about him. I looked back at him, biting my tongue and waiting for him to say something.

"I'm sorry... I really am–"

"No you're not, Darren."

"I am, Mackenzie. I didn't, I mean. I wasn't meant to–"

"I only thought you were​ my friend–"

"I was your friend... and, I- I still am."

"If you were, you'd have done the right thing, and sorry to burst your bubble, but we aren't friends either. I just realized I don't really know you."

Hurt flashed in his eyes. "C- Can you let me explain what really happened–"

"What really happened was clear, Darren. Don't make it sound like you were manipulated or anything. You weren't."

He was quiet for a while, then, he ran a hand through his hair, letting out a breath, "Alright, then, can we... can we meet after school? To talk?"

I wanted to laugh, but that'll hurt him more, and trust me he looked really hurt at the moment, but, hey, who was meant to be hurt between us? I looked back to Tanner who just collected the drink. He would be on his way back now and I wasn't sure he'll be pleased to meet Darren here.

"I don't think after school would be convenient," I told him, taking my eyes off Tanner and taking them back to him as I licked my lip,  aware that Tanner had started making his way back to the table.

"Well, uh, how about tomorrow? Saturday?"

"I–"

I was cut off by Tanner placing my drink in front of me, his eyes on Darren. Darren stood, not able to look at Tanner. I kinda felt bad for the guy at the moment, really.

"What's he doing here?" He asked me, finally breaking his gaze at Darren.

"Tanner, he–" I started.

"Yeah, you can leave now," Tanner turned to Darren who stood, looking awkwardly at us.

I wouldn't stop Tanner from literally chasing him away from here, because to be honest, he deserved it.

"I was nice the first time ever, and I'm still trying to be, but you really should leave now."

Tanner amused me. Did he just say he was nice the first time? If I were Darren, if have gotten angry with what he said the first time and I could see anger in his eyes, but it immediately softened.

Glad to know he felt guilty.

"Yeah," Darren nodded at Tanner before looking at me, his eyes pleading, "I- I'll leave."

"Yeah, bye." Tanner motioned for him to walk away and he did, slowly.

Tanner then sat down, turning his attention to his food before looking up at me, a smile on his face,