Chapter 6

"Hey Kenzi, it'd help if you at least tell us what's wrong. You don't seem yourself," Ryan said as I walked down the hallway with he and Bambi.

"Exactly. What is wrong?" Bambi asked, worry in her eyes.

I opened my mouth to talk, but I closed it. I didn't know how to say it without bursting into tears.

"C'mon, just tell us," Bambi said.

I bit my lip, then, looked around, "Can we go to the restroom?" I asked.

"Hey! So how do I get to know what's up?" Ryan asked.

"I'll tell you later," I assured him.

"Are you sure?" He looked at me as I nodded.

"Alright. Fine," he said as he squeezed my hand, then, released it.

I walked with Bambi to the restroom. Seeing that nobody aside both of us were inside, I flung my arms around Bambi as I cried. She let me cry as she stroked my back. The tears just kept coming. Thinking about life without mom was terrible enough. I would have nothing.

My tears reduced to sobs and Bambi kept stroking my back.

"Would you tell me now?" She asked as I pulled away from her and nodded.

"What is it?" She asked.

"Mom. . ."

"What's wrong with Mom?" She asked. 

"C-cancer," I finally answered.

"What?" She looked at me, her eyes widened.

"Mom has cancer," I swallowed.

"What type? What stage?" Bambi asked.

"Breast cancer. . . she's almost in stage two," I answered.

"How long, Kenzi?"

"Since late last year."

"That was a while ago!" She shrieked as I nodded.

"She's gonna d-die-" I started.

"No, don't say that!" Bambi scolded mildly, "It can be cured," she added quietly.

"Sure it can, but it's expensive, Bambi."

" Well. . . well, what about your dad?"

"Mom doesn't want his money."

"But that's absurd!"

"I know," I said, nodding, "I just feel terrible and-"

Just then, Lenore entered, pulling her hair into a bun. She smiled when she saw us, "Hey, girls," she waved and then looked at Bambi. "Is Mackenzie crying?"

"No, she isn't. She was," Bambi answered for me.

"Mackenzie, what's the problem?" Lenore looked at me.

I couldn't say anything. Couldn't trust my voice, so I just let Bambi answer for me again. "It's nothing really. . . she just needed to cry."

Bambi was a terrible liar. "I mean, she was only deep in thought and she started crying. She hasn't told me why yet, and she's not gonna do so," she said, nodding.

"Oh," Lenore looked at me, "I'm sorry about whatever it is, Mackenzie."

"It's okay," I let out in a small voice as I tried to lighten up my face.

"Are you guys coming for the party this night?" Lenore asked.

"I am. Kenzi's not," Bambi said.