Chapter 29

What's your favourite song at the moment?

*

After school, I walked to my locker. I felt some kind of peace after I told Jesse I didn't want to tutor Tanner again. Hopefully, he'll deliver my message. I thought it was better that I stopped tutoring him. That way, I'll be able to face my job without wondering if I'd taught him well that day. I'll also have time to visit mom. I let out a breath as I got to my locker and grabbed a few books from my locker.

"Boo!" I turned to see Ryan laughing.

"Haha Ryan, I was so scared" I said dryly, rolling my eyes.

"Hey, lighten up."

"I really have to head home now. Study a little bit before starting my first day at work." I said, smiling.

"Have you talked things out with Tanner, though? About the time and all? What did you guys come to?"

"What?" I choked on just that word.

"Remember what I told you yesterday? About moving the time to tutor Tanner?"

"Oh, yeah!" I rushed my words, "Yes, of course, we definitely talked about it!"

I felt really terrible lying to his face, but I couldn't let him know about what happened yesterday. I also didn't want to talk about it.

"Oh great." He nodded and I was grateful when he didn't ask what time we had agreed on. "So, you ready? I'll take you home."

"No, it's okay. I really feel like walking home today." I smiled.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, Ryan." I chuckled.

"Call me when you get home." He said, pointing at me

"Yes, father... Don't forget to study for your test." I reminded him.

"What test?" He asked, very lost and I laughed at him as I said, "We've got a test tomorrow for sure."

"That's true," he paused to think for a while, "Gabi's pretty good at Trig, if I forget to study, I'll just be extremely friendly to her tomorrow and we both know what would happen."

I chuckled. Gabi was some kind of nerd. She was always found with a book and she was also quite good at Trig. Thing was, she had a huge crush on Ryan and I didn't think it had ever occurred to her that Ryan was always very nice to her on test days, but I guess she was too deep in love with him.

"How would you forget to study? I just reminded you!"

He smirked, "I can make myself forget."

"Whatever." I playfully rolled my eyes, "Just take it easy on that girl. You're taking too much advantage of the crush she has on you." I chuckled, "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Sure. Don't forget to call me."

"Won't." I shook my head.

*

Immediately I got home, I sent a text to Ryan, telling him I'd gotten home.

3:45pm.

I took out my Trigonometry textbook and opened it up to study. I took out my phone and set an alarm for 5:15 to stop studying and leave the house for work. I wanted to arrive there early, just so as to make a good impression on my first day.

I looked over the pages and started doing a few calculations, but it got to a time, the words appeared in two's and I didn't understand anything anymore. My eyes became heavy, and no matter how much I tried to keep it open, it didn't. I looked at the pages again. A short rest for 15 minutes wouldn't hurt. In fact, it'd help in making my brain refreshed.