Chapter 33

What accent would you love to have?

*

I struggled to keep my eyes open but it closed immediately. I couldn't believe it was morning already. Keeping a job which I closed from late at night and had to wake up early in the morning to go to school wasn't as easy as it was in the first week.

Yesterday, I'd come in back from work at some minutes past twelve. The diner had been so full and I didn't want to leave Kora working alone trying to serve impatient people, some being total douchebags. Kora worked two different shifts. On some weekdays, she tended not to close from work with me. Yesterday, she kept on sighing in frustration, pushing her long hair away from her face. 

I dragged myself up from my bed and crawled to the bathroom. It was that bad. I was tired. When I got into the bathroom, I stared into space for a while, sitting on the toilet seat, before remembering that I'd gone in there to freshen up, then get ready for school.

Ugh. School. I was slowly pulling away from it. Nothing excited me anymore. Well, not like I was ever excited to go to school, but honestly, Bambi kept me going.

*

Just as Bambi found a good spot to park in the school parking lot, Ryan also pulled up to the school's parking lot.

"Bambi, please don't tell me you're gonna spend the next ten minutes-" I started.

"No, there's no time today. The earlier I give Ryan this muffin, the better." She said and I sighed in relief as we got down from the car and Ryan walked to us.

"Hey Ry!" Bambi and​ I smiled at him.

"What's up, kids?" Ryan smiled back, pulling my cheek and pulling Bambi's hair as usual.

"Ryan!" Bambi punched his shoulder, fixing her hair. She smiled at him, "I got something for you."

"Really? What?" He looked at​ her.

"Here." Bambi got the blueberry muffin which was wrapped with foil paper from her bag and handed it to Ryan who smiled widely, "You're so sweet, Bambi. Thanks so much."

Bambi smiled, nodding. "Of course. It's no problem."

Ryan unwrapped the blueberry muffin and took a bite of it, "It's good."

"Made by yours truly." She said proudly.

"Man, I had no idea it was this hot outside." Ryan complained, taking off his jacket.

"What do you think? Your car's air condition is always on full blast." I chuckled.

"Here. Hold it" Ryan said, holding out his jacket to Bambi.

"Why are you asking me to hold it?" Bambi's eyes widened.

"Have you forgotten? Yesterday?" Ryan raised an eyebrow.

"But, the muffin. . ." Her voice trailed off.

"Really, Bambi? Really?" Ryan laughed hard.

Bambi started sulking and I had to join Ryan in laughter.

*

Ryan and I walked to class as soon as the bell rang and Bambi walked off to her class, still sulking because Ryan had made her dust his locker and still made her carry his jacket around.

Everyone listened to Mrs Martinez in silence as she taught. I looked at her as she spoke, making sure she had eye contact with everyone in the class.

Before long, I was thinking about going to visit Mom after school. Maybe this time, I'll spend a long time with her. I couldn't wait to see her, I-

"Mackenzie," I heard Mrs Martinez called.