Chapter 43

"What the..." My voice trailed off as my eyes ran through the text my dad just sent me.

How are you and your mom? I know that time goes by fast and it surprises me to see how independent you're growing, my baby girl, but calling to say hi or just calling to tell me what's up would be nice. I've missed you a lot.

"Like, what the hell!" I literally screamed as I let out an angry and frustrated breath. He was damn right I was independent, but was he serious about me calling?
If I remember correctly, when I called him the last​ time, he told me he was busy! The man said he was busy when I really needed him and now he was going to make me feel like I was the one who didn't care? He was the one who didn't. If he really did care, he'd have listened to me the first time I tried telling him what was up.

"Hey, what's wrong? You look like you could punch through a brick right now." Kora came in, carrying some trays as she set them down.

I sighed. "You can't blame me if I do."

"Won't." She winked. "Tell me, what's up?"

"Kora..."

"Look, I already settled everyone in our section and hopefully, no one's going to come in soon, so I've got time."

"How would you feel if you've tried to reach out to someone and the person says he's busy, and then one day, he calls and says he mad at you for not calling and crap like that?"

"Well, first off, I tried to reach out to you and you said you were busy so you can't be mad at me-"

"Exactly! Like, how self-centred can he be?!"

"Sorry, who?"

"My dad," I sighed. "I never saw the side of him until now. Until this-" I moved my hands around me, angry, "this happened!-"

"Wait, uh.. Mackenzie, I really need to understand where you're coming from. I mean, if you don't want to talk about it, you don't have-"

"He... he and my mom are separated." My angry voice had dropped to a one with so much emotions I had to swallow. "He- he's in Spain now. Doing very okay."

"Hmm. Did he ask about her or anything?"

"Yeah, he did... He just asked how she was and stuff."

"Well, how is she?"

I swallowed, not sure whether to tell her about mom's cancer. "She's-"
I was interrupted by the buzzing sound my phone made. I looked up to the screen.

"That him?" Kora asked, an eyebrow raised.

"Yep. It's him." I rolled my eyes, a large part of me wondering why he was calling now.

"Take it."

"What?" I looked at her in disbelief.

"I know, but you really might just want to take it."

"I don't."

"I understand​ that you're too angry to talk to him right now, so maybe when you get home you should try calling him or something. He might have something really important to say to you."

"I'm sure he doesn't." I shrugged.

"Well, about your mom-" Kora started to say and just then, my watch beeped.

Break was over.

*

I threw myself on my bed, letting out a tired breath as my eyes stayed glued to the ceiling. I didn't move. It was a good feeling. My mind was completely zeroed, my heart beating at its normal pace as my chest took a rhythmic rise and fall.