Chapter 10

NOTE:--------> Picture reminds me of how I imagine Kadence's room.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aiden’s P.O.V

            “Sweetie, here are the keys to the car so you can go see your dad.” My grandma drops the keys in the palm of my hand. I pick it up with my other hand and sigh. My grandma puts her hands on my cheeks and stares in my eyes. “Now dear don’t go in there looking upset. Smile for your dad. We know he loves you.” She pats my cheek with one hand and smiles. “Okay?”

            I smile back and nod my head. “Yes, M’am.” I walk over to the front door and head outside.

            Ever since my last few visits to my dad he’s noticed how happy I’ve become, and my grandparents and I believe that’s the reason he’s brighten up some. He talks to me a lot more now wondering how I’ve been, what I’ve been doing, how basketball is going, and so on. Volleyball ended a month ago before football did. It’s late November. The only reason I have been a lot happier is because I’m dating Kadence now. It’s been almost two months for us. I told her how I had a crush on her, and it was kind of pushed aside. Something happened when we danced at homecoming though. When I saw her crying I thought to myself that she still looked beautiful. I pull out my phone thinking of her and decide to text her.

            Me: On my way to visit my old pops.

            Kadence: Good luck! I’m here if you need me. Just holler! Well text! ;).

            I smile to her text and slide my phone into my pocket. I start my grandma’s Nissan Altima and head off to see my dad.

            “Right this way, Miss Deters.” A woman police officer escorts me to a room where I can speak to him. I put my hands in my back pockets as I feel uncomfortable like I always do in jails. It makes me nervous to know there are some pretty whacked up males and females locked up here. “I hope it makes weight lift off your shoulders, but your father has been doing much better.” She says looking back at me. She gives me a smile and I smile back politely.

            “That’s cool. Will he be out soon?” I ask while I watch her search her keychain for the right key. She leans down a bit and sticks the key in a keyhole. She looks at me.

            “Very soon.”

            She turns the key and opens the door. I look at my dad and he raises his head up from the table. His face brightens up as he sees me.

            “I’ll be out here.” The police officer says. She shuts the door behind me, and I pull my hands out of my pocket as I go hug my dad. He chuckles and pats my back softly. “Hey there baby girl.”

            “Hey dad.” I say and pull out of my tight hug from my dad. I sit down in the chair that’s across from his seat. He sits down and lays his arms on the table and intertwines his fingers.

            “How have you been?” He asks.

            “I have been good, real good dad. I’ve heard that you have been doing better, is this true?”

            A smile appears across his face. I realize some of the facial features I have received from him. “Yes. I feel healthier and happier.”

            “That’s cool, dad. It makes me feel better to hear that.” I say honestly.

            My phone goes off in my pocket, and I jump a little from being shocked. My dad looks at me. I pull my phone out and immediately turn the ringer off putting it on silence. I look to see who texted me before I put it in my pocket though.