17. A little Time

"I am pretty sure I have some in here...now just apply it on the inflamed area...erm...where the muscles feel sore...sparingly of course, it's strong stuff."

Precariously balancing on the top ledge of a set of small ladders, I expertly rummage through the top shelf of my overstuffed (and obviously disorganized), supplies cabinet. After a few close calls, in which I nearly nose-dived the ground, I find the jar of medicinal balm. It is basically the elvish Middle Earth equivalent to muscle rubs, and I am pretty sure my new patient will benefit from it.

With a victorious smile I hop down the ladders and outstretch the small tub to a flaxen haired elleth, who has a gorgeous blue eyed elfling clinging to her brown skirts

"We cannot afford this," My patient, a tawny coloured ellon with the same matching blue eyes as his gorgeous son, sighs sadly and shakes his head. His wife glances nervously over him and places a hand soothingly on his shoulder;

"What he means is that we have nothing to offer in return for your service, my lady," She murmurs, chewing her lip and casting a warning gaze over her elfling, who is hungrily eyeing up the bowl of grapes on my table.

"I think fighting for our freedom in that Valar forsaken war is payment enough," I reply with a nod, as I slip around the desk and tap the surface for the elfling to join me. He does so without question, and as I help him up beside me I offer him the grapes.

I grin at the adorable sight, as the kid happily makes short work of the rather large bunch. I run a hand through his soft curls and glance meaningful towards the anxious looking couple; "Besides, you need to keep yourself fit and well if you are going to keep up with this handsome fellow...how old is he?"

"He is in his sixth year," His mother blushes deeply, but her mate beams proudly and simply takes her hand in his.

"He was conceived before I left," He states without even flinching; "A piece of me, should I not have returned...or maybe another reason to fight harder to get home."

"And you did," I answer proudly, and beam down at the precious little creature by my side. To his parents he is surely a beautiful gift.

"Yes, but it might have been a different story if it wasn't for his majesty," The ellon bows his head for me, and I see the light of something close to awe or deep gratitude in his eyes. "Your husband, my lady, his strength and courage is that of ten thousand elven warriors. If he had not defended and took command of the front lines of that final battle, I would have been blown to Mandos Halls...in several pieces no doubt."

"Hush, don't talk like that," His flaxen wife pales, a frown line etching into her pretty pale brow. "My apologies my lady, he is not himself just yet. He speaks too boldly."

"Nonsense," I answer and wave my hand in a half hearted dismissive wave; "My husband would be greatly comforted to know that one of his own is safe and reunited with his family. I cannot wait to tell him this happy tale, I think it will do his heart some good."

"You tell him from not just me, but my whole battalion, that we owe him a great debt for his sacrifices. We Silvan do not forget such honourable courage," The ellon practically pushes himself off my examination table, though he still nurses the effects of a shattered body. I dread to think how many bones he had broken. He lowers into a bow and in a voice full of conviction adds; "My Queen, you ensure our new King knows of our loyalty and love."

"I will," I just about whisper as a little sob catches my voice. Clearing my throat I divert my gaze back to the elfling, and plant a kiss on his cheek, before helping him off the tabletop. I run my fingers through his touchable curls one last time and tell him proudly; "Your Ada is very brave little one, don't you ever forget that."