48: Moving day

Up top is a geological map of the path in which Nathan and Lyra will take. Red is the cave (point A) and blue is the cabin (point B). Enjoy!

-----------

Nathan-

I excitedly ate breakfast and nearly choked as I finished off my trout.

"Slow down," Lyra chuckled as she packed her bag up.

"Can't," I grinned and ran to the river to wash the cooking utensils.

I finished them and hurried back to pack the rest up. We're leaving today. Let me just say that again, we are leaving today.

Lyra was bustling around, cleaning some things and triple checking her checklist. Last night, she had written down everything the two of us owned and made sure we had it all.

To her disappointment, we had to leave out some of the pelts we had collected over the winter because we didn't need the extra weight. I watched her obsess over our things for a moment.

"Jay, we're all set. Let's just go," I smiled at her, patiently waiting for her to calm down.

"Wait a minute," she said quickly. She pulled out the notebook and scribbled something down. Ripping the paper out, she set it on the little pile of furs along with her wooden bow and a few arrows.

I walked over and bent to read it.

There's a hunters cabin about thirty miles to the north. Cross the river if you have to. Follow the Big Dipper and watch out for bears. The key is under the big rock beside the porch. Good luck-

Lyra J & Nathan

"What's this for?" I asked with a raised eyebrow.

"That's incase someone else gets lost out here and finds the cave. They won't be lost," she chirped and I smiled at her.

Eventually, we realized that we couldn't haul around suit cases, especially Lyra's, so it all got stuffed into our hiking packs. Some of Lyra's clothes didn't fit because she was carrying the food, so I put them in my duffel. My cases had to be ditched as they were too heavy so I strapped my rifle to the side of my bag and gave Lyra my bow.

Lyra continuously checked everything and I mean everything.

I waited outside exasperatedly as she fussed over things. I sighed, "Jay, we need to leave before ten."

"Okay, okay, okay....but how about a picture?" She held up the camera.

I nodded and we got in front of the cave, Baine at our feet. One last picture with the cave...

Lyra snapped the picture and handed the camera to me. I packed it away in the pocket of my bag and pulled it onto my shoulders. It was pretty heavy with the hauler strapped onto it but whatever. I had the elk antlers too while Lyra had the deer antlers because there was no way we were letting those go. I was carrying about one hundred and twenty pounds and I wouldn't let Lyra have more than ninety.

She worried over my scars and the weight, but I told her all was fine. 

I watched Lyra strap the pistol to her thigh and make sure the arrows were in a place she could easily reach.