Chapter 1: Summer Hates

As I looked at the reflection in the mirror, I can't seem to recognize the girl I see. She looks just like me, but different. I shook my head to clear any negative thoughts and try to force a smile.

"It's your first day of being a senior. Be happy!" I said to myself still looking at the mirror.

I put on my denim blue jacket over my white tank top that matches my jeans. Lastly, slip on my white converse on and grab my bag to head downstairs. I was greeted by Miho at the end of the stairs. "Hello, cutie." I scratch her head. Miho is my pet golden retriever (I don't really consider her as a pet, she's more like my baby.) My dad adopted her a month after mom died.

I saw my dad in the kitchen sitting with a cup of coffee in one hand and a newspaper in the other, he saw me as I walk in.

"Good Morning." He smiled as he put his coffee down.

"Good Morning, dad." I smiled back and pull a seat next to him at the table.

"Sleep well?" He asks now folding his newspaper.

"Yes." I answered while I mouthed a piece of bacon. He looked at me with worry. "I'm fine, it has been a month since it happened. I'm okay now, see." I put on the biggest smile that I could just to prove to him I'm alright.

My dad and I are close even before Mom died, I had always been a Daddy's Girl. Mom died when I was 8 from cancer. He was so broken from the tragic loss, but he endured the pain for me. He tried his best to not make me feel incomplete, especially now that I only have him. He never once missed any of my events even though his schedule is unpredictable being the town's Sheriff, and I admire him for that.

He knows almost everything about my life, well almost everything. He knows that Lance and I broke up a month ago during the Summer Festival dance. I told him that the reason for the breakup was just a heated conversation that sparked into a big fight, which was a total lie. The truth was I caught my freaking boyfriend with his tongue deep in another girl's throat. Just thinking about it makes me puke the bacon I just ate.

My dad was at the precinct when Lance went by our house the next day after I caught him cheating on me. I thought he would try to explain what happened that night. Try to explain that the girl went onto him and he could not pull away when I saw them together. I know it might sound stupid but what if that really happened but I was wrong, so wrong to hope.

(FLASHBACK)

"I think we need space." the words left his mouth like it was nothing.

My eyes widen in shock from hearing those words. "I was expecting more like an apology, rather than that." I said. "But okay." I said nodding with my hands resting on my hips.

"You-you understand?" A smile curving on his lips. I huff at how I ridiculously hoped of a stupid explanation and apology from him.

"You don't need to ask for space." I told him.

"I just really need to-" I cut him from continuing what he was going to say.

"Because I'm breaking up with you." I said with a raised brow. "We are through. I don't want to see your lying face ever again." I opened the door for him. "Now, get out."

He stepped outside, I was about to close the door when I remembered something. "Wait." I told him. I walk up to him and slap him. He flinched which made me know it must have hurt so much. "Go to hell." I told him one last time and slam the door shut behind me.

(END OF FLASHBACK)

***

A knock on the back kitchen door brought me back to reality. My best friend Zoe entered the room. "Good Morning!" Zoe greeted as she pulls a chair opposite to where I'm sitting, then takes a piece of bacon and shove it in her mouth. Zoe's usual barge in the early morning is already normal in our household. She lives right next door with her parents and a younger brother. My dad and her dad are best friends since they were young. Zoe and I might be fated to be best friends like our fathers.