Chapter 78 Goblins

Bang!

The back door of a certain bar in the Gotham slums was kicked open. Two burly men with fierce scars on their faces and stern expressions stepped through the door in sync.

“You motherfucker, let me go right this instant, or I swear I'll......”.

The man being held within their grasp swore wildly. His mouth moved at extremely fast speeds, shooting out cuss words like a barrage without a single repetition.

The fierce looking men paid him no heed not did his words elicit a reaction from them.

With smooth coordination and tacit understanding honed through many months of repetitive action, the man was thrown out through the back door of the bar, into the alleyway.

The night in Gotham wasn't peaceful. Dark and gloomy clouds had emerged earlier on signalling the city residents that tonight was going to have a heavy downpour. Today in particular was rather heavy.

The clouds cried and Gotham was drenched in heavy rain. The man who was thrown out into the alley under the bad weather just so happened to fall into a puddle.

Thud!

The thudding sound was particularly dull. Almost unnoticeable as it was covered up by the splash.

“Ptui! Bastards! Isn't it just a broken glass. I'll never patronize this shithole again”. Ignoring his now drenched body that was stained with what could almost be deemed as sewer water, the man spat out a thick mouthful of phlegm and said with a vicious look.

Facts proved that in Gotham, no one gave a fuck.

“Fuck..... Lost my good drinking spot”. He said to no one, visibly annoyed under the heavy rain. The man didn't look rich or well off to say the least.

His clothes were faded, sewed in multiple areas and had a few patches. His long, shaggy, unkempt hair fell to his back and his beard was as one would expect, untrimmed. The gray lines on both hair and beard were easily noticeable.

He was a middle-aged man, but looked like he was in his mind fifties.

The rain continued to pour incessantly. The man walked down the road, moving from one alley to another with clear familiarity.

The sight of a man walking under the rain was particularly conspicuous. Many people turned to give the drenched man a look.

The beggars, the homeless, the gangsters who were taking shelter under different coverings. They took one look at the scrawny man before ignoring him like he didn't exist.

Obviously, this person was no stranger to them. His poor dressing literally gave away the fact that he had no money to his name.

The man didn't mind. He continued to walk down the road usually guarded by gangsters that now granted free passage to all who were poorly dressed.

Thunder flashed and the man's shadow could be seen for a split second as he appeared near a dead end.

The wall in front of the man failed to dissuade him from going forward as he came to the side of the wall and pushed aside a rather large green garbage dumpster.

A hole in the wall leading downwards was revealed.

He made his way through the darkness and fumbled lower and lower. There was no surprise twist where he got to a certain point, flipped a switch or lever and the whole place suddenly powered up with electricity.

He wasn't Batman, nor was he a hidden master with a secret mission or an underground lair, special skills or even someone worth remembering.

He was just a plain, homeless guy who chanced upon this place about a week ago, not knowing that tonight might be his last.